 Administrative / General / 329
  Strategy/algorithm for Followup-To field in non-discussion groups

How does this sound for a Followup-To strategy/algotithm?-- We designate a set of groups as being "non-discussion" groups -- currently just lugnet.announce and, if it is created, lugnet.cad.dat. Call this set of newsgroups I (um, let's see, for (...) (26 years ago, 12-Oct-98, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Strategy/algorithm for Followup-To field in non-discussion groups

(...) Looks right. Q: should messages be required to be crossposted to the group to which Followup-To is set? That way, people who don't subscribe to the announce group but do subscribe to the relevant discussion area will see the original message. (26 years ago, 12-Oct-98, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Strategy/algorithm for Followup-To field in non-discussion groups

(...) Of course, this isn't a good idea for something like the .dat group being discussed for the cad folks. I haven't looked into this, but can you customize the error message returned when a posting fails? That seems important if non-standard (...) (26 years ago, 12-Oct-98, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Strategy/algorithm for Followup-To field in non-discussion groups

(...) Aha, good, yes, probably, hmm... --Todd (26 years ago, 12-Oct-98, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Strategy/algorithm for Followup-To field in non-discussion groups

(...) Cool. That's the way it should be. [snip] (...) :) Well, posters would still have to set a follow-up line. (...) I'm generally opposed to making things moderated, partly because it can generate a lot of work, and partly because I don't like (...) (26 years ago, 12-Oct-98, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Strategy/algorithm for Followup-To field in non-discussion groups

(...) LOL -- I was just popping back into this group having just realized the same...sure would suck if all the .DAT files were crossposted! :) (...) Yes, it's just a message to STDERR... The rejection messages for HTML postings versus (for example) (...) (26 years ago, 12-Oct-98, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Strategy/algorithm for Followup-To field in non-discussion groups

(...) I'd go with no. If I post a model to lcad.dat I would not expect to see that model appear in any other group. That is, the model post itself is different in kind from its followups. -Lar ======== Posted via the LUGNET discussion group web (...) (26 years ago, 15-Oct-98, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Strategy/algorithm for Followup-To field in non-discussion groups

(...) Right. Definitely so for cad dat files. But what about announcements? (26 years ago, 15-Oct-98, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Strategy/algorithm for Followup-To field in non-discussion groups

(...) Hmm, I guess if someone's not subscribed to the announcements group, caveat emptor to them... lugnet.announce is the one group that really everyone should have in their subscription list. --Todd (26 years ago, 15-Oct-98, to lugnet.admin.general)