 Administrative / General / 329
328  |  330
Subject:
Strategy/algorithm for Followup-To field in non-discussion groups
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 12 Oct 1998 18:17:00 GMT

How does this sound for a Followup-To strategy/algotithm?--

We designate a set of groups as being "non-discussion" groups -- currently
just lugnet.announce and, if it is created, lugnet.cad.dat.  Call this set
of newsgroups I (um, let's see, for Info).

The weeding algorithm on the server, when passing or rejecting an article,
would then go as follows, where N is the set of Newsgroups some article A
is addressed to, and F is the set of Followup groups for A:

   If there exists some x such that x in N and x in I, then -require- that
   F be non-empty.  ("If posting to one or more non-discussion groups,
   require the Followup-To field.")

   If F is empty and F must be non-empty, then reject article.  End.  ("If
   posting to one or more non-discussion groups, and the Followup-To field
   is not set, reject the article.")

   Else, if there exists some x such that x in F and x in ND, then reject
   article.  End.  ("Can't direct follow-ups to non-discussion groups!")

   Else, pass article.  End.

Does this algorithm reject or pass articles that it shouldn't?  One nice thing
is that, in addition to requiring discussion-group followups to non-discussion
group posts, it also prevents non-discussion followups to discussion group
posts.  :)

--Todd