 Administrative / General / 333
Re: Strategy/algorithm for Followup-To field in non-discussion groups
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 12 Oct 1998 21:10:13 GMT

mattdm@mattdm.org (Matthew Miller) writes:

Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote:
Q: should messages be required to be crossposted to the group to which
Followup-To is set? That way, people who don't subscribe to the announce
group but do subscribe to the relevant discussion area will see the original
message.
Aha, good, yes, probably, hmm...

Of course, this isn't a good idea for something like the .dat group being
discussed for the cad folks.

LOL -- I was just popping back into this group having just realized the
same...sure would suck if all the .DAT files were crossposted!  :)

I haven't looked into this, but can you customize the error message returned
when a posting fails? That seems important if non-standard behavior like
this is implemented.

Yes, it's just a message to STDERR...  The rejection messages for HTML
postings versus (for example) binary postings are currently different.

An alternative to rejecting posts which don't have the Followup-To group in
the Newsgroups line is to add it automatically. This is more transparent,
which is generally good, but has the side-effect of putting posts somewhere
other than what the author specified, which could be confusing. (Although,
since they did choose the followup group, that might not be much of a
problem .)

I wonder if that also has the side-effect of making it too easy to post to
the announce group.  :)

Well, all in all, I think what I'd be happiest with is:  articles posted to
lugnet.cad.dat automatically following up to lugnet.cad (by default), and
articles posted to lugnet.announce automatically following up to
lugnet.general (by default), but with lugnet.announce being moderated.

I don't think anyone believes that moderating the announce group would be a
bad idea...just...still...a tiny bit hesitant...

I need to read up on moderated groups a bit more.  I think it's already set
up so that moderated messages get mailed out fine.  I'm unsure about how
they finally get injected -- how they get back to the newsserver from the
mailer.

--Todd