 Administrative / General / 3087
Re: Your Local Lego Webmaster!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 23 Oct 1999 02:10:29 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Richard Franks writes:
[...]
For what it's worth though, I don't think that anyone is trying to
downgrade or insult you. Possibly contribute to a few more threads before
making that judgement? Anyway - take care!

Richard,

Jon won't be able to reply or contribute to other threads (at least not for
the time being) because his posting privileges have been revoked due to his
use of profanity[1], which is a violation of the LUGNET Terms of Use.  Since
the LUGNET server does not censor messages based on language or make any
other content-based decisions except for purely objective content formatting
issues such as plaintext vs. HTML vs. MIME vs. binaries, etc., Jon's message
will continue to exist in the message archive.

I realize that this was a rather harsh and quick judgment, but I'm getting
really tired of people ignoring the rules, especially newbies.[2]

Whether being harsh and quick is a good thing or a bad thing is not yet
something I have a good sense for, but in this case, my gut instinct told me
that this was the right decision, albeit somewhat of a snap one.  It is of
course a reversible action.

--Todd

[1] http://www.lugnet.com/starwars/?n=4118

[2] I don't think what JeremyS posted yesterday was a problem, since he was
using words in a "meta" sense -- giving examples to help explain something,
not actually using it per se, and certainly not in a crude way.