 Administrative / General / 293
Re: CFD: lugnet.theme.*
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 11 Oct 1998 06:22:54 GMT

Michael Huffman <mhuffman@mindspring.com> writes:

[Using Todd's format... I thought I'd might get more responses if
I posted my question here, rather than in lugnet.general...]

Informal call for discussion...

lugnet.theme.*
==============

I hope I don't sound pretentious by doing this, but I'm wondering if
this could be a possibility?  I forgot if we talked about something
similar to this during Beta testing... If it was discussed, I forgot
about the reasons for or against the creation of such groups.

   For example:

   lugnet.theme.aquazone
   lugnet.theme.boat
   lugnet.theme.castle
   lugnet.theme.pirate
   lugnet.theme.space
   lugnet.theme.train
   lugnet.theme.town
   lugnet.theme.wildwest

- would this be a good idea to give people areas to talk about
   specific themes rather than clutter up other discussion groups or
   would it create more news groups that wouldn't receive much traffic?

- has Todd thought (and I sure he has) about creating  a hierarchy
   similar to above, but doesn't feel like it's time (or have the
   time) to implement it?

- what are (were) the pro's and con's to doing this?

-- Mike.

I originally had things broken down this way back in early August, but it came
up with 20+ groups, and was discouraged by many people from having separate
theme groups...  It's really only the Trains and Robotics folks who have a
whole "genre" to talk about, IMO...  I'm a Space fan and would enjoy a space
group, but Space is too small of a "thing" compared to Trains, and Space is so
darned similar to Aquazone...

Maybe in 6 months . . . . . .

--Todd