 Administrative / General / 2373
Re: Please help keep LUGNET clean
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 5 Aug 1999 19:54:20 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, "Lorbaat" <eric@nospam.thirteen.net> writes:

One of the biggest dangers of a tribal chieftan judicial system in a large
community is when the chief makes an obviously wrong or unpopular decision
against someone, yet no one speaks up against the chief if they disagree.

Well, you're right, of course.  I was mostly kidding with the tribal cheiftan
bit, obviously, but IMHO it's worked so far.  Of course, as someone noted
elsewhere, the maturity level around here is pretty high, so it hasn't been a
huge job from what I can tell.

(note that does *not*
mean I always agree with your decisions, only that you seem even-handed
and fair, and to have a reason for the decisions you make).

I'm not sure if you're talking about technical decisions or people-oriented
decisions...?

Well, I was talking about matters of policy.  Like this one for example:  I
would be more inclined to let people use whatever language they wanted to.
Frankly, when I'm with my close friends, I swear like a sailor.  But I also
know there are places where it's not appropriate, and sensed that LUGNET was
one of them from the start.  Anyone who can't is unlikely to be taken very
seriously (even by folks like me), and will probably self-correct out of the
community on their own.

But, on the other hand, I can easily see all the arguments for stopping that
kind of language in it's tracks, too.  Keeping LUGNET a friendly place for
kids, with a family atmosphere... keeping the conversations on a mature
level... lessening the likelihood of hurt feelings and flame wars, etc.

Yes, legally and technically on paper, it's a private thing that's owned,
but that doesn't mean it can't still feel like a community where everyone
understands that their opinion is worth stating.

I understand and appreciate the LUGNET-as-community feeling/direction.  In
fact, that's why I find the site so appealing.  But beleive me, so far I think
a lot of arguments (meaningless, esoteric arguments) have been stooped dead
because of the fact that you "own" LUGNET.  You say no foul language?  No foul
language it is.  No nasty, twisting threads where someone eventually has to
invoke Godwin's Law.  No flame fests.  Just no fould language, and back to
talking about Lego.

Conflict (i.e., dissenting opinions) can be a good thing, IMHO.

Where there is conflict there is involvement, and involvement leads to
solutions.  The right level of involvement plus the right level of conflict
leads to great solutions.

Of course, too much involvement and too much conflict leads to more problems
and bad solutions, but I believe it could be kept in check.

I agree on all counts, although I think keeping it in check, once it's out of
the bag, might be harder than you think.  And to be honest, I'd rather err on
the side of too little conflict than too much.

I shudder at the thought of "politicians" too, but it's certain to be that
as things grow, various responsibilities will be delegatable --

Well, once again, there's a big difference between you delegating power to
someone, and everyone voting on it somehow.

Perhaps all that might be needed is some sort of .town-square or .town-
meeting group, who knows.  Or perhaps something more formal.
We'll just
have to see.  All I know for sure is that there -has- to be some place where
someone who stands accused of something can defend themselves (and be
defended by others, if others feel similarly).

I thought that's pretty much what lugnet.admin.general was?  For now, whether
by default or by design, you do weild the power, and so the decisions are
yours.  I've never seen you not listen to someone who wanted to defend
themselves, or people that wanted to defend someone else.  I've also never seen
you make an arbitrary decision, or refuse to give reasons for a decision you
have made.  Usually it takes place here.  It's also the place where you seem to
set the follow-ups for discussions about LUGNET policy/direction that you
announce in lugnet.announce.  The group just has a more Usenet/Internet-ish
name than community-ish one, that's all.

eric