 Administrative / General / 2356
Re: Please help keep LUGNET clean
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Wed, 4 Aug 1999 18:28:35 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, John Neal <johnneal@uswest.net> writes:
If ever anyone posts something obscene which offends you, or which you feel
may be offensive to others, please feel free to remind them of the Terms of
Use (and quote them the URL above) and that this is supposed to be a clean
place.  Alternatively, feel free to report something via e-mail to
admin@lugnet.com if you'd rather not face a confrontation with the poster
who offended you.

And I would've done that, except that Lar (All Hail Larry) says that I don't
have the right to be offended at behavior:-(

IMHO, you have the right to be offended at anything you want in life.
Getting offended is a private thing -- a state of mind -- and it isn't
usually a choice, but rather a mostly-involuntary gut reaction based on past
experiences and belief systems.  I mean, you're either gonna be offended or
not be offended at something -- you can't control that unless you're Mr.
Spock or something.  It's only what you do about it (or don't do about it)
that indicates to others how you feel about it.  By not speaking up, you
passively accept something that offends you.  That's your choice to make,
but if you feel it's difficult to put forth a complaint (even a mild one),
then I think we need some sort of venue here for like-minded people to get
together and put forth complaints as a cohesive unit.

I fully expect that there will need to be -some- sort of judicial system
here someday for reviewing "out of line" behavior/etc. (something probably
very similar to the concept of a "trial by a jury of your peers") in order
that a group of people can unite to ostracise or exile someone who doesn't
belong (i.e., doesn't share a group's tenets or is actively disrespectful of
them).  If that sounds brutal, please realize that judicial systems are
fundamental to the health and stability of larger communities.

I was already chastised for my insolence regarding the "Uff-da" incident,
so I couldn't risk it again;-)

You mean <http://www.lugnet.com/market/jambalaya/?n=331>?  I thought you
were just politely correcting a spelling error.  IMHO, it doesn't matter
who's right or wrong about the spelling (uf-da vs. uff-da), only that you
were honestly trying to help.  BTW, were you less or more insolent than your
chastiser was?

--Todd

[followups to lugnet.admin.general]