 Administrative / General / 2358
Re: Please help keep LUGNET clean
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Wed, 4 Aug 1999 19:33:22 GMT

I fully expect that there will need to be -some- sort of judicial system
here someday for reviewing "out of line" behavior/etc. (something probably
very similar to the concept of a "trial by a jury of your peers") in order
that a group of people can unite to ostracise or exile someone who doesn't
belong (i.e., doesn't share a group's tenets or is actively disrespectful of
them).

What?  Why?  I like the tribal cheiftan judicial system we have now. Are you
saying you don't want the job?  That you would abandon your tribe?

All kidding aside, The system we have now seems to work fine.  You've always
shown yourself to be even-handed and fair (note that does *not* mean I always
agree with your decisions, only that you seem even-handed and fair, and to have
a reason for the decisions you make).  And even better, it's backed up by the
absolute of the fact that LUGNET is "yours".  I know you would say that it's a
community, and it belongs to all users, etc, but you set it up and you pay the
bills (as far as anyone knows, at least) and you could do whatever you wanted
with it.

Install a group of people to make such decisions, and immediately you have
dissenting opinions, and the bogging down of bureaucracy.  You have people
complain that the arbitrarily chosen Judges aren't fair.  Have them voted on,
and you suddenly have LUGNET Politicians (shudder).

A monarchy might be a terrible thing when you have a poor king, but it's
probably the most efficient system when you have a king capable of handling the
power he weilds (and the ultimate tools that the administrator of a server can
use to make his word actual, real-life Law).

eric