 Administrative / General / 2357
Re: Please help keep LUGNET clean
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Wed, 4 Aug 1999 19:15:32 GMT

I think I've been misquoted a bit, or maybe I wasn't clear on the
offense thing, more on that below.

At any rate, most importantly, this is a private service, and as such
we're all beholden to comply with the rules and procedures here, on pain
of not being welcomed back.

One of those rules limits the sorts of things posters can say, and puts
in a procedure for dealing with it. Bravo. All is as it should be.
That's whats nice about private endeavours, we can set limits to
behaviours and enforce them, and exclude any sort of behaviour we as
owners deem unsuitable.

My contention is that such is not the case in a public place, which must
have much looser limits on what is allowed, or else be
discriminatory.(1) If you want to debate that point, which is tangential
to the limits in effect here, take it up in .debate

To the offense thing, what I mean to say, and believe I have been
saying, is that one does not have the right NOT to be offended by what
is done in public. Not exactly the same as the right to BE offended. The
double negative in this case is NOT the same as the positive.

One can take offense at anything one wants and be within one's rights to
do so. But the fact that one is offended by something is not a reason or
authorization to limit the behaviour of another person if that behaviour
is not otherwise unlawful (if in public) or outside the limits of what
rules are in place (if in a private place).

One certainly can and SHOULD speak up about things that offend one,
whether in public or private. But speaking up, ensuring that one's
opinion of the behaviour is understood, and preventing behaviour in a
public place are different things entirely.

One is to be encouraged, the other denied.

See the distinction?

As to the uf-da thing, I was teasing.

1 - reminder, I feel discrimination in public places is not to be
tolerated. Discrimination in private places is economically unwise but
within rights of the owner. take it up in .debate, not here.

Todd Lehman wrote:

In lugnet.admin.general, John Neal <johnneal@uswest.net> writes:
If ever anyone posts something obscene which offends you, or which you feel
may be offensive to others, please feel free to remind them of the Terms of
Use (and quote them the URL above) and that this is supposed to be a clean
place.  Alternatively, feel free to report something via e-mail to
admin@lugnet.com if you'd rather not face a confrontation with the poster
who offended you.

And I would've done that, except that Lar (All Hail Larry) says that I don't
have the right to be offended at behavior:-(

IMHO, you have the right to be offended at anything you want in life.
Getting offended is a private thing -- a state of mind -- and it isn't
usually a choice, but rather a mostly-involuntary gut reaction based on past
experiences and belief systems.  I mean, you're either gonna be offended or
not be offended at something -- you can't control that unless you're Mr.
Spock or something.  It's only what you do about it (or don't do about it)
that indicates to others how you feel about it.  By not speaking up, you
passively accept something that offends you.  That's your choice to make,
but if you feel it's difficult to put forth a complaint (even a mild one),
then I think we need some sort of venue here for like-minded people to get
together and put forth complaints as a cohesive unit.

I fully expect that there will need to be -some- sort of judicial system
here someday for reviewing "out of line" behavior/etc. (something probably
very similar to the concept of a "trial by a jury of your peers") in order
that a group of people can unite to ostracise or exile someone who doesn't
belong (i.e., doesn't share a group's tenets or is actively disrespectful of
them).  If that sounds brutal, please realize that judicial systems are
fundamental to the health and stability of larger communities.

I was already chastised for my insolence regarding the "Uff-da" incident,
so I couldn't risk it again;-)

You mean <http://www.lugnet.com/market/jambalaya/?n=331>?  I thought you
were just politely correcting a spelling error.  IMHO, it doesn't matter
who's right or wrong about the spelling (uf-da vs. uff-da), only that you
were honestly trying to help.  BTW, were you less or more insolent than your
chastiser was?

--Todd

[followups to lugnet.admin.general]

lugnet.