 Administrative / General / 1724
Re: Idea for the Lugnet News/Discussion Groups website
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 28 May 1999 22:45:41 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, edboxer@aol.com (Ed Jones) writes:
Hmmm.  You're running NT, right?  What happens when you launch the built-in
telnet app and telnet to port 8000 or 8080?

  Start -> Run ->
     Open => telnet

Connect -> Remote System ->
     Host Name => lugnet.com
     Port      => 8080
     TermType  => vt100

Does it display any text in that window?

That would work if they didn't hide the programs all over the system (we have
drives from A-Z) - it'd take me a week just to figure out where they hid
Telnet!!! (running a search on 26 drives used by 9000 people takes a LONG
time)

OK, what about launching telnet via Netscape?  What happens when you click
on this URL?--   <telnet://lugnet.com:8080>

FYI - we have locked desktops as well (they blocked the ability to install
software.  It is impossible to load software without the tech support people.
Yeah I know its a supervisory setting in the win.ini file, but we don't have
write access to the ini - I tried editing it once in through WordPad - it
wasn't pretty).  All applications are uploaded via a lex distribution.

My other half is a geek.  He laughs hysterically at the "Big Brother" system
we have.

Flee while you still can!  ;-)

Welp, sounds like they've got you pretty good and stuck then -- with HTTP
(web) and/or SMTP (email) being your only two options.

Say, another distant future possibility to get around this might be to run
another copy of the NNTP server on port *80* (the HTTP port :-) on some
other IP address.  Of course, if they've crippled the Netscape newsreader
more than it already is by default, then even that won't work.

I'm very saddened that employers would block NNTP access, and I'm always
very curious to hear any other stories like this.  Thanks for the info...

--Todd