 Administrative / General / 1719
Re: Idea for the Lugnet News/Discussion Groups website
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 28 May 1999 19:12:12 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, edboxer@aol.com (Ed Jones) writes:

They both freeze up my system.

By "system" do you mean the app or the OS?  Wow, either way, they've got you
good!  :-(  Perhaps rather than blocking specific ports, they only allow
certain ports (like 80=HTTP, 23=SMTP, etc.).

Locks up the entire system and have to reboot.

Hmmm.  You're running NT, right?  What happens when you launch the built-in
telnet app and telnet to port 8000 or 8080?

  Start -> Run ->
     Open => telnet

Connect -> Remote System ->
     Host Name => lugnet.com
     Port      => 8080
     TermType  => vt100

Does it display any text in that window?

--Todd

That would work if they didn't hide the programs all over the system (we have
drives from A-Z) - it'd take me a week just to figure out where they hid
Telnet!!! (running a search on 26 drives used by 9000 people takes a LONG time)
FYI - we have locked desktops as well (they blocked the ability to install
software.  It is impossible to load software without the tech support people.
Yeah I know its a supervisory setting in the win.ini file, but we don't have
write access to the ini - I tried editing it once in through WordPad - it
wasn't pretty).  All applications are uploaded via a lex distribution.

My other half is a geek.  He laughs hysterically at the "Big Brother" system we
have.