 Administrative / General / 1712
Re: Idea for the Lugnet News/Discussion Groups website
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 27 May 1999 19:33:14 GMT

Have you tried setting your newsreader up with one of the alternate NNTP
ports (8000 or 8080)?

They have blocked the use of newsgroups totally - no newsgroup access. period.

What would be extremely handy would be to have, along with the description
of each group, the time and date of the last post.

For each group, or for each sub-hierarchy, or for both?

Each group would be fine (but see my comments below about your second option).

I spend a lot of time
checking groups that have nothing new since my last visit.  There is
currently no way to tell, via the website, if there are new posts.
Anyway, just a thought/idea/suggestion.

So basically, you want to be able to find & read new messages easily &
quickly, but in the process avoid entering any groups which don't have
anything fresh, yes?

You got it!

What if you could "see into" all of the groups simultaneously, and browse
backward in time through a weblog-style reverse-chronological list of
messages with snippets and links directly into the groups?

In other words, how close would something like this get to where you want to
be?...

  http://www.lugnet.com/temp/ss_cad.gif
  http://www.lugnet.com/temp/ss_ot.gif
  http://www.lugnet.com/temp/ss_us.gif
  http://www.lugnet.com/temp/ss_home.gif

It's not the same as having date/time stamps listed for all the groups,
obviously, but it's where the web interface is headed in order to make the
transition to the more useful general user-group paradigms.  (Those are
actual screenshots from a working version, BTW).

That would be incredible, but that seems like it would eat a lot of bandwidth
(your next option is even better).

Alternatively, in the meantime, what if instead of listing the time/date
stamp of the most recent message in each group, what if there were a special
page you could go to which made the link color for each group change
whenever there was a new message posted to that group?  That actually exists
now -- check out this URL:

  http://www.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi

That's perfect just the way it is - change the color for new messages - even
easier that date/times.  But how does it know which groups I've read?  I.E., I
only look at SW every couple of days (too threatening to my plastic).  Does
your cookie track my site access?

Once again, Todd is ahead of the rest of us!!!