 Administrative / General / 1718
Re: Idea for the Lugnet News/Discussion Groups website
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 28 May 1999 18:57:57 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, edboxer@aol.com (Ed Jones) writes:
Ed, have you tried setting your newsreader up with one of the
alternate NNTP ports (8000 or 8080)?  For example, what happens
when you click each of these URLs from your web browser?:

They both freeze up my system.

By "system" do you mean the app or the OS?  Wow, either way, they've got you
good!  :-(  Perhaps rather than blocking specific ports, they only allow
certain ports (like 80=HTTP, 23=SMTP, etc.).

Hmmm.  You're running NT, right?  What happens when you launch the built-in
telnet app and telnet to port 8000 or 8080?

   Start -> Run ->
      Open => telnet

  Connect -> Remote System ->
      Host Name => lugnet.com
      Port      => 8080
      TermType  => vt100

Does it display any text in that window?

--Todd