 Administrative / General / 1715
Re: Idea for the Lugnet News/Discussion Groups website
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 28 May 1999 00:42:04 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, lar@voyager.net (Larry Pieniazek) writes:
Ed Jones wrote:
Have you tried setting your newsreader up with one of the
alternate NNTP ports (8000 or 8080)?

They have blocked the use of newsgroups totally - no newsgroup access.
period.

Technically, that's not possible. Period. (1)

Heh heh.  Yes.

OK, let's try this again.  Ed, it's possible that you may have been
brainwashed by "them."  (No offense -- they're good at that sort of thing;
it's what they do.  :)

Ed, have you tried setting your newsreader up with one of the alternate NNTP
ports (8000 or 8080)?  For example, what happens when you click each of
these URLs from your web browser?:

Now, administratively, it may be a policy not to allow the standard
newsgroup ports to go through, and it may be a policy not to allow
installation of parts of packages that allow newsgroup reading, but
that's different. That's a policy decision, not a technical limitation.

Hope that helps.

1- well, almost. 8080 is the http port so unless they turn off
websurfing completely, they cannot block news traffic across that port
unless they put a packet sniffer to drop news packets and allow http
packets. That has such a high bandwidth cost almost no one does it. So I
stick to what I say. not possible.

Hmm, yes.  As Larry points out, it's probably not actually really blocked.
"They" probably just blocked port 119 or something else.  It's unlikely that
they're actually monitoring the content exchanges.

My company's policy is the direct reason that Todd turned on 8080.

Well, uhm, urmm, yeah...kinda sorta.  That's a very large part of the
reason, to be sure -- but it's half the story.  I certainly didn't enable
those ports just because Larry's company had blocked the standard NNTP port,
with no regard to or respect for his company's rules.  (I, like Larry,
personally disagree with such policies, but I still respect them -- as does
Larry, I presume.)

For the record, I enabled those ports so that Larry (and others experiencing
firewall/blocking problems) could access the groups directly via NNTP _at_
_their_own_discretion_, for example during lunch or after-hours.

That is to say, anyone who uses these alternate ports to get around barrier
designed by their employers to prevent them from reading news is acting on
their own behalf.  I try not to encourage rule-breaking, but rather
responsible and thoughtful behavior.  People should be able to decide on
their own if their employers' no-newsgroups rules are sound or frivolous,
especially when doing so on their own time.

--Todd