 Administrative / General / 1722
Re: Idea for the Lugnet News/Discussion Groups website
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 28 May 1999 21:16:29 GMT

Well, it's **technically** still possible to get you news access. **No**
system of defenses against modifications to machines is impenetrable.
But it's pretty clear that you'd be well beyond any sort of reasonable
business justification by the time you broke down the system defenses to
get that access.

So I think we better stop trying to advise you how to circumvent your
company restrictions, which, in the final analysis, are well within
their rights to impose, and start trying to advocate that you get a fast
connection to your own box at home and surf from there.

Not that we WERE advising you to, mind you. :-)

As for my firm, once Todd opened up 8080 I got clearance from my IT
group. They're just concerned about generalized access since we run our
own news server anyway. We only allow specific ports, and there's an
exception process for each port not well understood.

Ed Jones wrote:

My other half is a geek.  He laughs hysterically at the "Big Brother" system we
have.

Like you and I are not geeks?? We're brick geeks, that's all. :-)

FDIC Know your Customer is wounded, thanks to you, but not dead...
See http://www.defendyourprivacy.com for details
- This is a family newsgroup, thanks.