 Administrative / General / 1377
Re: lugnet.trains.org newsgroup?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 15 Apr 1999 04:54:53 GMT

Wow.  Big questions that I feel unequipped to answer.  I trust Todd's experience
and knowledge about this organization hierarchy stuff-- Greek to me:-p  I don't
think, however, that having a system like this in place would have aided the
formation of the GMLTC specifically.  As John G mentioned, our group has been
together doing their own thing for years as friends, not as a club.  I
discovered them serendipitously through a side comment by Ben Fleskes.  They had
been tossing the idea of somehow becoming "officially a group" for a while, but
no one was in any hurry.  Larry has become involved largely due to a
coincidental consulting account here in the Twin Cities.  Others will "join", no
doubt, to varying degrees through the noise in .trains, and via contact through
our (future) web site.  So I guess what I'm saying is that, in our instance, the
net didn't help this organization get off the ground, although it helped *me*
find them{:^D
I don't have the vision to see how we would use a GMLTC NG.  I guess I see it as
public email between friends.  Most of the correspondences between say, J1 and
me are, for the most part, boring (to an outsider;-)  We meet once a week so
there isn't a lot to say in between except "see you tonite!" (meeting night:-).
Perhaps I just don't "get it", which is probably true.  I am not wise to the
ways of the web.  I see Lugnet.trains as a broad group which enables me to come
in contact with people, things, ideas I wouldn't otherwise.  I *like* it when I
can converse with Sanjay in NZ or Richard in GB.  For now it seems to be divided
up nicely, unlike the noisy RTL which I have completely abandoned.  Of course,
the future is the issue, not the present, so I swing full circle and say wow, I
don't know and whatever you think is best, Todd.

-John

Ok, I'll jump in here now...  ;)

The GMLTC is the most un-organized dis-organized informal "club" you'll
probably ever find.  We don't have any 'charter', or membership oath, or
secret handshake, or even an official roster.  We don't even have our website
up, and it's been at least three months since we had our "coming out party"
(to use Ben's term)...

(But we have found a company willing to host our site!  Yea!)

John Neal has been acting as our "Public Relations" person, because he is
probably more familiar to other lugnet people than anyone else in our group.
He might have a different opinion (cue:  John!), but I think that the
lugnet.trains group has been just fine for us so far.

Once we get things up and running and people see some more pictures of our
stuff, we might get a lot more questions/comments - but I think most people
will use direct email instead of posting to these boards.  Unless they just
want to heap praises on us - then it's okay to post to these boards.
<kidding!>

Perhaps as a 'compromise', how about lugenet.trains, .trains.clubs,
.trains.build, others??

John G
  (of course, remove ".nospam" to reply...)