 Administrative / General / 13730
Re: Why is Lukas in headlines? (was Re: Bulleid Leader)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 16 Oct 2006 19:56:59 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Felix Greco wrote:
   Some of the other forums (CSF, classic-castle) will regularly throw posts into different areas so I assumed the same should be true at Lugnet. I’m not overly computer-savy... these things may seem elementary to the computer experienced.

The problem mostly is that Lugnet was based on an NNTP model, wherein you can’t modify the content or group of a post. So, essentially, when a post is made, lots of stuff happens behind the covers. Lots of indexing and things which would need to be recalculated if you changed a post’s location, content, etc. Not to mention that people who use the SMTP or NNTP interfaces might be affected if their cached copies didn’t match the server copies.

Most other sites are “bulletin board” style, where people only look at the data on the live server, and the indexing is easier to rebuild (or is done on the fly for some things).

At the time Lugnet was developed, I think Todd was pretty well convinced that NNTP was the direction things were headed in. But sure enough, things started bending more towards bulletin board style interfaces. It’s certainly a goal to make Lugnet more flexible in some of these areas, but that’s a pretty large task, and there isn’t necessarily a clear-cut plan of attack that I’m aware of. (I’ll defer to Rene if he’s got anything in the works in that area).

DaveE