 Administrative / General / 1335
  lugnet.trains.org newsgroup?

How do people feel about the creation of a new newsgroup lugnet.trains.org whose purpose is to help national train clubs (such as PNLTC and GMLTC) work with one another, share ideas, and help nurture the creation of more new similar train clubs (...) (25 years ago, 14-Apr-99, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.trains)

  Re: lugnet.trains.org newsgroup?

Great idea, Todd. Helping other groups get off the ground is a core part of PNLTC's Mission Prospectus and it certainly makes sense for any and all groups to coordinate -- ultimately, I foresee this as much more clout in dealing with TLG. Dan/PNLTC (...) (25 years ago, 14-Apr-99, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.trains)

  Re: lugnet.trains.org newsgroup?

I'm not against it, but do we have critical mass yet? Also, what problem is it trying to solve? Is trains too noisy already (I can't tell since I'm part of the noise) or are you thinking ahead? (...) (25 years ago, 14-Apr-99, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.trains)

  Re: lugnet.trains.org newsgroup?

(...) I'm not against it either but I think if club related stuff were off in another group then I'd probably never read it since I'm not in any club. And that would remove a possible incentive to get me interested in joining/starting/attending a (...) (25 years ago, 14-Apr-99, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.trains)

  Re: lugnet.trains.org newsgroup?

(...) Hrmm. I could see where that would be convenient for the clubs themselves with spelled-out geographical description to avoid the alphabet soup for newbies. IMO, if you start .trains.org you might want to consider which groups could also have (...) (25 years ago, 14-Apr-99, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.trains)

  Re: lugnet.trains.org newsgroup?

(...) Okay, I'm a dufis. Shoulda read further back in the thread. Sorry about the waste. -Tom McD. (25 years ago, 14-Apr-99, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.trains)

  Re: lugnet.trains.org newsgroup?

(...) specific and are very roundtablish. What about other groups, such as the San Francisco Bay Area group baylug.org? As you know, we have a domain name now. Zonker Harris seems to want to form a LTC here in SF, which is good and could be it's own (...) (25 years ago, 14-Apr-99, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.trains)

  Re: lugnet.trains.org newsgroup?

(...) Ok, I'll jump in here now... ;) The GMLTC is the most un-organized dis-organized informal "club" you'll probably ever find. We don't have any 'charter', or membership oath, or secret handshake, or even an official roster. We don't even have (...) (25 years ago, 14-Apr-99, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.trains)

  Re: lugnet.trains.org newsgroup?

Larry Pieniazek: (...) Difficult to tell, but critical mass isn't much of a metric here as it is on Usenet, mainly because groups are archived and easily past-browseable and because it is so easy to create new groups and receive them as mailing (...) (25 years ago, 14-Apr-99, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.trains)

  Re: lugnet.trains.org newsgroup?

(...) So you would use it then. Would something like this have helped (or could it still help) in a positive way during the initial stages of GMLTC? --Todd (25 years ago, 14-Apr-99, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.trains)

  Re: lugnet.trains.org newsgroup?

(...) I agree with Matt David (25 years ago, 14-Apr-99, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.trains)

  Re: lugnet.trains.org newsgroup?

(...) You'd have to ask a "member" of GMLTC that question, I suspect. Remember, the PNLTC has a policy that you have to actually live in the PNW to be a member. grumble. Dan lives in the NW and therefore is eligible for PNLTC membership by their (...) (25 years ago, 14-Apr-99, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.trains)

  Re: lugnet.trains.org newsgroup?

(...) Well... you know... when you know four times as much about the topic as the next most frequent poster, that happens. <grins, ducks and runs> (...) Shocked, just shocked. (...) I guess that would work. IF people remembered to do it (...) (25 years ago, 14-Apr-99, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.trains)

  Re: lugnet.trains.org newsgroup?

Personally, I kind of like the idea. It makes it easier for us to discuss topics that are a little too specific for this group. (Meeting times, project ideas, transport of sections, specifications on sections, etc..) I don't know how much it would (...) (25 years ago, 14-Apr-99, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.trains)

  Re: lugnet.trains.org newsgroup?

I read lugnet.trains every day. The traffic here is, well not much traffic at all. I would be opposed to splitting off sub topics until the traffic merits it. I would hate to miss any news about trains, even if it is the intimate details of how a (...) (25 years ago, 14-Apr-99, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.trains)

  Re: lugnet.trains.org newsgroup?

(...) I understand that concern. Here are some things to think about though -- Current traffic levels aren't really very accurate predictors of future traffic levels after a split. You might have 50 posts/day in some group and then after a split it (...) (25 years ago, 15-Apr-99, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.trains)

  Re: lugnet.trains.org newsgroup?

Well Todd, I guess I can't argue with that! :) Carry on with your madcap plans for our crazy little hobby. After all, for the most part, I just read this stuff. It is you who have masterminded a clean and decisive way for a lot of us to live (...) (25 years ago, 15-Apr-99, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.trains)

  Re: lugnet.trains.org newsgroup?

Wow. Big questions that I feel unequipped to answer. I trust Todd's experience and knowledge about this organization hierarchy stuff-- Greek to me:-p I don't think, however, that having a system like this in place would have aided the formation of (...) (25 years ago, 15-Apr-99, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.trains)

  Re: lugnet.trains.org newsgroup?

Tom McDonald wrote (in part); (...) Boy, I turn my back for a week, and look what goes on! (Just kidding! ;-) I like the BA-LEGO email list, which is also automatically (email) linked to the lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf groups list. (Though I don't know for (...) (25 years ago, 15-Apr-99, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf.sj, lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.trains)

  Re: lugnet.trains.org newsgroup?

I totally agree with Dan on the club's mission... but I think that club members from the same or different clubs can use .train to discuss train club stuff. After all it is all about LEGO trains. Would anyone object to a conversation about how to (...) (25 years ago, 15-Apr-99, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.trains)

  Re: lugnet.trains.org newsgroup?

(...) I hope I didn't cause any heart attacks or spasms by mentioning things like lugnet.trains.org.pnltc and lugnet.x.y.z.baylug -- these were just mentioned as examples for the sake of planning. I understand that pnltc.org and baylug.org folks are (...) (25 years ago, 15-Apr-99, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf.sj, lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.trains)

  Re: lugnet.trains.org newsgroup?

(...) It was never my intention to speak for anyone other than myself alone. I merely used bayLUG as an example too. I can tell by your posts that you don't seem to think I spoke presumptously or authoritatively, but I'm saying it just for the (...) (25 years ago, 16-Apr-99, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf.sj, lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.trains)

  Re: lugnet.trains.org newsgroup?

Todd, once again, the wisdom of the train NG prophets shines through like a Mack truck careening through a wall of stacked Ritvik Mega Blocks -- Offline conversation with Steve B. last week and and the number of posts I've reviewed have got me (...) (25 years ago, 19-Apr-99, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf.sj, lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.trains)