 Administrative / General / 12143
12142  |  12144
Subject:
The whole story?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 22 Jan 2005 19:13:36 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, John Gerlach wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Ken Nagel wrote:
   Furthermore while my friends and acquaintances know I work at a Lego retail store. When I post here however I’m on my own. It’s not something I put in my posts. Taking care of the stock room and sweeping the floor once or twice a week Doesn’t qualify me as an insider. I find my information the same place most of you do, through the internet. However since this “administrator” decided to raise that flag I was fired “for being a member of “that” AFOL web site”.

Wow, that just completely sucks. And it seems more than a bit unfair, since I’ve seen employees at a LEGO Imagination Center store READING LUGNET ON THE STORE COMPUTERS!!!

Ken, you have my sympathy. I think LEGO really screwed you over on this one.

Assuming that’s actually why he was terminated. Everyone is jumping to the conclusion that they have the whole story, all the facts. As we have seen so many times before, that may not be the case. There may be more to this than that. Who knows? Certainly, none of us do. And I’m not sure that LEGO HR is necessarily going to explain why they terminated someone, in detail, for privacy reasons.

But I’ll tell you this, I find it highly doubtful that anyone from LEGO would be terminated merely for being a member of LUGNET. Even if, unlike most everyone else here that works for LEGO, they chose not to do the right thing and state that they were an employee in their posts here.

Ken is going around saying “that administrator” “outed” him. Without going into whether that terminology (and much of the rest of his phrasing in this) is baiting or appropriate(1), I’ll say this, Ken made no secret at all on the Chicago-Lego yahoo group that he was an employee, it was featured in a lot of his posts there. Including posts, as I recall, that gave information about unannounced product. That’s typically not something that is looked on kindly by employers.

I do not recall any statement by him in those posts that he wanted his employment kept secret. Rather, he seemed rather proud of it there. That’s where I learned it. That list is one that anyone can apply to join, with moderator approval. I did not realise that he wanted it kept secret, how would I know?

But perhaps, just perhaps, when whoever terminated him did so, what they meant by “that AFOL list” (or whatever the phrasing is) was the chicago-lego list, the one where he said he was an employee and where he shared unannounced product information, information that hasn’t been seen anywhere else as I recall. Might have missed it, but I do get to a LOT of places.

I think if there are further apologies warranted, that they need to come from Ken. His actions here in this thread are out of line.

That isn’t because I have an “ax to grind” or because I “bear him animosity”, because I don’t. I just think he’s lashing out because he’s upset that he got terminated. And who wouldn’t be? But that’s no excuse for abusive behaviour. And in my view, he needs to sit back, think about what he has been saying and see if there isn’t stuff he wants to retract.

And, for another thing, I’m at a loss as to why he mailed all the admins(2) except me? Why not start with me first? That’s what we recommend, after all. As I said, I saw my post as a harmless joke, and further, one not even directed at him, but rather at whoever wrote the copy. Had he mailed me first about it, and said in a nice tone that he was upsset about it, I no doubt would have promptly cancelled it with an apology directly to him by reply email.

++Lar

1 - for those keeping score at home, I counted several ToS violations in this thread by him so far.

2 - as it turned out, the address he used for Kelly wasn’t forwarded (oops! our bad, Todd has fixed it now) the mail to Matt went into his spam filter(3), and Matt is a new father today(4) so was a bit preoccupied this week, the address Ken used for Todd isn’t checked that often and gets a lot of mail (oops again! our bad, but there you are), Frank was preoccupied (our bad again!) and we haven’t heard from Lenny about whether he got it or not, but we know he went on holiday early this week and doesn’t have email access. As it turns out, the only person that would probably have gotten it and responded right away was me, but he left me off the list. For whatever reason.

A general note here... if you email all or some of us and don’t hear back, don’t assume we got it and are deliberately ignoring you. Assume the worst about the email delivery process, and try again. Use some different addresses if you need to. Only after you’ve tried multiple times, should you start posting. And even then, your first post ought to just be a “hey I sent some email, can you check it out” rather than a full on flame.

3 - The spammers who say that spam is harmless and all we have to do is filter it are missing the point. The real damage is false positives. TWICE now in a week, something bad has happened on LUGNET at least partly because a spam filter shunted valid email off to the side and it was missed by the recepient.

4 - Congrats for that!