 Trains / 28719
Re: Tunnel Mouth / Bridge Arch
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 2007 16:46:10 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Timothy Gould wrote:

I wonder what else they could be used for.

34 or more of them can be bent into a complete circle with the treads facing in
this way (the circle maintains near circularity up to about 40-45 links,
depending on how floppy you want it). By supporting it on the outside edges, and
"rolling" it on the driven sprockets, you have a hoop that can rotate in place
(stargate style). With enough treads and those nifty pin holes, you can make a
cylinder about 13 cm across but as long as you like (by stacking identical rings
together), like some sort of horizontal mixing cylinder.

I've played with them for the GBC, but I'm not sure how to use them best yet...
I do think they would be excellent for something like a version of Philo's
hoop-wheel based lift system (possibly stretched into a long upright oval).

Oh, these rings also make for great spiked collar depending on your neck size
:-)

--
Brian Davis