 Technic / 15667
GBC MOC: Track Wheel Reservoir (was Re: Tunnel Mouth / Bridge Arch)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.announce.moc
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2007 22:02:12 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

In lugnet.trains, Brian Davis wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Timothy Gould wrote:

   I wonder what else they could be used for.

34 or more of them can be bent into a complete circle with the treads facing in this way (the circle maintains near circularity up to about 40-45 links, depending on how floppy you want it). By supporting it on the outside edges, and “rolling” it on the driven sprockets, you have a hoop that can rotate in place (stargate style). With enough treads and those nifty pin holes, you can make a cylinder about 13 cm across but as long as you like (by stacking identical rings together), like some sort of horizontal mixing cylinder.

I’ve played with them for the GBC, but I’m not sure how to use them best yet... I do think they would be excellent for something like a version of Philo’s hoop-wheel based lift system (possibly stretched into a long upright oval).

Oh, these rings also make for great spiked collar depending on your neck size :-)

I’ve not made very much GBC before but this was such a nice idea that I thought I’d have a go Brian:

I used 36 tracks with pins on alternate ones to give a maximum 4 balls/second output. This can be reduced easily to the standard 1 ball/second by removing pins or reducing the motor belt drive pulley size. It’s great because it’s a chute that doesn’t clog up. The natural bounce of the track wheel with the 6-tooth sprocket drive prevents clogging. I reduced the inertia of the near axle by removing the other sprocket and relying on the two pulleys with tyres. The reservoir will take 80 balls and deliver them with no trouble.

I have a ball lifter device, based on transmission chain links, which would be ideal as the thing to feed with the output of the track wheel reservoir. It can add lots of height, so I could then make all kinds of nice stuff for the balls to fall through (before perhaps delivering them to another module at standard height).

Gallery when moderated: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=241800

If you can’t wait for moderation to see the whole gallery, go to this link http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/mbellis/Technic/GBC/Track-Lift-Reservoir/track_wheel01.jpg , and change the “01” to any number up to “09”.

Mark