 Technic / 15668
Re: GBC MOC: Track Wheel Reservoir (was Re: Tunnel Mouth / Bridge Arch)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 22 Mar 2007 00:40:57 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Mark Bellis wrote:

I've not made very much GBC before but this
was such a nice idea that I thought I'd have
a go Brian

Hey, very nice Mark! Warning, watching those little balls go around and around
in a creation of your own can be... very addictive :-)

I used 36 tracks with pins on alternate ones
to give a maximum 4 balls/second output.

Nifty. I wouldn't worry at all about having *too much* throughput; since the
overall rate is 1 bps, the modules upstream of yours will just be feeding yours
at a lower than its maximum rate. That's why the standard is written as being
"at least 1 bps". You could always use something like a flip-flop to split the
stream and even have your module feed part of its output back into itself. I
also suspect you could stretch this vertically into an oval by adding treads.

It's great because it's a chute that doesn't
clog up.

That's a rather coveted design charecteristic - "mil spec" modules tends to be
rather uncommon. One thing I can't see (yes, I went the all the deep links) is
how you keep balls from either being dragged under by the descending pins or
other wise "seal" the bottom so balls don't fall in. Or does the track itself
form the bottom of the input hopper system?

The reservoir will take 80 balls and deliver
them with no trouble.

That's very good to hear. Perhaps this will end up in a train unloading module
(one of the tougher kind, due to the requirement to handle large pulses of balls
with high reliability). It's kind of neat to see it set up to feed itself as is,
however. Do you have video?

I can't wait to see more :-).

--
Brian Davis