 Trains / 27168
Re: 9v Train status report.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 2 Apr 2006 03:48:32 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Jonathan Wilson wrote:
3.Unlike pretty much every other toy train which are either battery
operated or unpowered, LEGO trains require plugging into the wall (which
limits the market to kids old enough to play with toys that plug into the
wall and parents willing to buy their kids toys that plug into the wall)

Consumers interested in LEGO (talking the general consumer, not the people
who go to train shows or the line) are more likely to buy something else
(because of the high cost of LEGO trains and also because they require
being plugged into the wall which could be a safety risk for younger kids)
Consumers interested in trains will buy a competing train set
(because of the high cost of LEGO trains and also because they require
being plugged into the wall which could be a safety risk for younger kids)

Interesting that "plugging in" is veiwed as a negative. Most of the people I
know (myself included) would never buy a battery powered anything if a plug in
version was available. That is the reason I never bought a Mindstorms kit. When
I had saved up for one I found that all the new kits couldn't be plugged in.
That translates as completely useless and undesirable to me.  I guess I better
stock up on metal track in the fall when they are gauging sales just in case
they get rid of them.

-Mike Petrucelli