 Announcements / 3183
Subject:
9v Train status report.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 2006 22:55:16 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

OK, we have been given a limited amount of information that we have been authorized to share. Now I am a fan first and Ambassador second so I am going to give you all the nuts and bolts first. After that I am going to break down each statement as I see it. Finally I am going to present an initial plan for how we, the fans can influance the fate of 9v trains.

First, what we have been authorized to release.
  1. LEGO is still finalizing the plan for what they call the LEGO Hobby Train which will be based on the current 9v system.
  2. LEGO will continue to sell the current 9v system including the train motor, metal tracks and the speed regulator through LEGO Shop at Home and LEGO Brand Retail only, from mid 2006.
  3. In early 2007 the decision will be made – based on sales performance of the 9v system during the fall of 2006 – if LEGO will continue the 9v System with metal rails after 2007.
  4. LEGO will release more information about the “LEGO Hobby Train” project in August 2006 at the latest.

OK, so that is what we now know. Now here are my comments.
  1. I think the 9v line could be in serious jeopardy if we don’t do something before 2007. It is up to us the fans to save the line, we can’t just hope LEGO will save it themselves.
  2. One clear clue... In early 2007 the decision will be made – based on sales performance of the 9v system during the fall of 2006 So I think our first plan should be to try and make sure fall 2006 numbers are good. Don’t make a run on 9V train stuff now, if at all possible hold off until we have more information. I am trying to find out if we are hurting ourselves by buying now and not waiting until the fall.
  3. We cannot wait until August to find out what the plan for “LEGO Hobby Train” is. By that point it may be to late.

Now what do we do?

  1. Don’t go off screaming about how LEGO mislead you in some way. For all we know, at the time previous announcements were made they were giving us the information they felt was correct. It may be that some other factor has changed. It is important that we keep our heads straight and present a solid case for the continuance of the 9v Train system.
  2. We need to act now. If we wait for more information in order to form a plan and make a case it may be to late.
  3. I am seriously considering setting up a web site with the sole purpose of making sure the 9v Train system is saved. I really don’t have the time for this now but as I have said, waiting is not going to help at this point. What I need is help developing a plan and presenting that plan. I will volunteer to be the web master for the proposed site which will include discussion boards, story writing capabilities, polls, calendars, links, etc. I may need help with moderators and admins. I will also need help defraying the cost of the site and other expenses related to the cause. For this I will probably set up a Paypal account to support the site and ask for donations.

So are folks willing to help? If I set up a site will folks be willing to add content that will help make our case?

I will use my Ambassadorship to try and get as much information as I can from LEGO internally in terms of what it would take for us to make sure the 9v line continues well into the future. For now we need to take matters into our own hands as much as possible. There are several other Ambassadors willing to help with this as well. If we can combine the efforts of the Ambassadors with the focused effort of the community I hope we can make a difference.

Let me know if you would like to help in this effort. If support is strong enough I will set up a site dedicated to the cause as quickly as I possibly can.

-Eric Kingsley LEGO Ambassador

Re: 9v Train status report.