 Announcements / 3183
  9v Train status report.

OK, we have been given a limited amount of information that we have been authorized to share. Now I am a fan first and Ambassador second so I am going to give you all the nuts and bolts first. After that I am going to break down each statement as I (...) (18 years ago, 30-Mar-06, to lugnet.announce, lugnet.trains, FTX) !!

  Re: 9v Train status report.

(...) Eric- 1. Thanks for all your efforts. 2. Count SCLTC in whenever/wherever/however 3. What does "from 2006" mean when you wrote "LEGO will continue to sell the current 9v system including the train motor, metal tracks and the speed regulator (...) (18 years ago, 31-Mar-06, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: 9v Train status report.

--SNIP-- (...) I believe this has been stated elsewhere by Jake. Tim (18 years ago, 31-Mar-06, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: 9v Train status report.

(...) Eric, First and foremost -- thank you. This gathering and reporting of information is exactly the sort of thing I that I imagined the Lego Ambassador program would be useful for. This is also the first time that any ambassador has done (...) (18 years ago, 31-Mar-06, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: 9v Train status report.

(...) So, is LEGO going to actually have any 9v product available during this time to accurately guage the performance of said product? Or will it be just the remains of what they currently have, which most people already have. It seems to me that (...) (18 years ago, 31-Mar-06, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: 9v Train status report.

Eric, First off - THANK YOU for the news. (Good to see actual Lego discussion is going on in lugnet.trains.) My initial thought - on reading this news and the other thread about club participation - was "How did we get HERE?" It seemed like there (...) (18 years ago, 31-Mar-06, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 9v Train status report.

(...) This may depend on your interpretation of hobby train I guess. I think the purchaser of sets will want the all plastic train and track. I can't recall the last train "set" I bought. But I have bought a lot of track, points, motors, track (...) (18 years ago, 31-Mar-06, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: 9v Train status report.

(...) This is perhaps the case for those of us that already have the essentials to make a LEGO train (track, controler, motor) but it certainly is not what is required to bring NEW people into the hobby. People at the shows and at the store all want (...) (18 years ago, 31-Mar-06, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: 9v Train status report.

(...) I can't disagree with anything you say Troy. With that said I think we have a decent chance of convincing LEGO to maintain the line if we can all come together and make our case. One thing I think that has been lost in the last couple of years (...) (18 years ago, 31-Mar-06, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: 9v Train status report.

In lugnet.trains, Eric Kingsley wrote: (some interesting ideas) That's all well and good, and I think a website might be useful but it's not the way to prove the line is viable. That requires driving demand. But how? What are the chances of LEGO (...) (18 years ago, 31-Mar-06, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: 9v Train status report.

(...) Ouch. First TLG, after offering a train set (URL) train/hobby shops, wouldn't actually supply the product, and now is cutting the smaller stores that have been faithfully carrying trains out of the loop. A stride forward for vertical (...) (18 years ago, 31-Mar-06, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 9v Train status report.

(...) You're getting close to what I've thought for a long time, Larry. Eric, you have some interesting ideas, for sure, and plenty of passion for our hobby. Here's some simplistic opinions that I can share - it's evident to me that LEGO's looking (...) (18 years ago, 31-Mar-06, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: 9v Train status report.

(...) Thank you, Eric, for jumping into this and taking charge. I feel I have to be missing something, but, Lego is announcing plans for the hobby train (based on 9V) in August 06 & then deciding whether to continue 9V or not in early 07? They are (...) (18 years ago, 31-Mar-06, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: 9v Train status report.

(...) Everything I have read indicates that the "hobby train" IS Lego Train Factory. Lego is focusing in-house train set development on their "play train" line. "Hobby train" set development is being left to us, the fans, using Lego Train Factory. (...) (18 years ago, 31-Mar-06, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 9v Train status report.

(...) The "lack of interest" is comming mainly from the big box stores like Toys-R-Us, Wal-Mart, Target etc. The problems for those stores are: 1.Compared to other toy trains (such as blue track thomas the tank engine or any of the various wooden (...) (18 years ago, 31-Mar-06, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 9v Train status report.

(...) Jonathan- One sad fact is that some parents don't buy LEGO trains (and LEGO in general) because they don't want to assemble it and know/believe their child doesn't have the skill or patience to put it together. (It surprises me how many kids (...) (18 years ago, 1-Apr-06, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 9v Train status report.

(...) I suspect, despite AFOLs protests to the contrary, the true measurable sales impact of AFOLs, train shows and the like, is very small in comparison to mainstream marketing, sales and distribution. Everything else was the dedication and (...) (18 years ago, 1-Apr-06, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 9v Train status report.

(...) SNIP (...) I'd be a lot less worried if I knew Jake was still working for TLG. It may be my imagination but it seems like every SAH-exclusive/LEGO-Direct 9V train-related product that was produced in the last 5-6 years has had Jake's (...) (18 years ago, 1-Apr-06, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: 9v Train status report.

(...) Interesting that "plugging in" is veiwed as a negative. Most of the people I know (myself included) would never buy a battery powered anything if a plug in version was available. That is the reason I never bought a Mindstorms kit. When I had (...) (18 years ago, 2-Apr-06, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 9v Train status report.

(...) I tend to agree. I get a lot of the "I didn't know Lego made trains" at train shows and give them the standard spiel, "Yes, long time, mostly mail order, etc." We've done shows with a train set or two available for sale (MSRP) and IIRC have (...) (18 years ago, 2-Apr-06, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 9v Train status report.

(...) You are correct, Brad was a train fan. (...) Same here. They seem to have missed several of their dates and, without the Jake conduit of information, as far as I know we don't have any updated information. Steve, who really misses Jake (18 years ago, 2-Apr-06, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: 9v Train status report.

(...) There *was* buzz about LEGO Factory on Legofan, but it died out there too when no responses came from LEGO. The LEGO Factory forum is here: (URL) Lego Kits & Custom models: (URL) Lego parts store: (URL) Guild of Bricksmiths(TM): (URL) Gallery: (...) (18 years ago, 2-Apr-06, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 9v Train status report.

(...) Are you sure that you or any fan can influence the decisions already made by LEGO? Another view on this whole "See what the fall sales bring and Lego will decide further" story is: Lego moves the sale of metal rails and stuff to S@H, because (...) (18 years ago, 3-Apr-06, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 9v Train status report.

(...) Actually buying that product is what finally got me into lego trains. "Steam" train for under $100.00 is what it took for me to take the plunge. Damn it :) (18 years ago, 3-Apr-06, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 9v Train status report.

(...) Hrrmpph. If its like their other factories, it will be useless and overpriced. But if they allow fan designed sets by contest(like the micro stuff) and make the price point decent($40.00 for an engine, $25.00 for a large bit of rolling stock, (...) (18 years ago, 4-Apr-06, to lugnet.trains, FTX)