 Trains / 25606
Re: kadee coupler questioner
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 28 Jul 2005 23:00:54 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Rob Hendrix wrote:
I came away with the notion that, if TLG wasn't somehow on board with the
idea,
it would never take off.  And even I, who was SO passionate about the idea
years
ago, never even bothered to use Kadee couplers.  I use rare-earth magnets
with
LEGO magnets instead, and they work great.  Because I'm not holding my
breath
that TLG will choose to make {any} significant investment in the 9 volt
line.

[JOHN]

Amen.

When LEGO decides to "invest" again in 9volt and maybe make new tracks,
etc., I'll start regaining some interest.  Until then, I'm persuing other
themes of interest with more passion that trains.

SPACE!

I feel similarly to these sentiments.  I have 8mm scale trains that work OK with
the 9V system and have worked OK with the 12V system, which had better
functionality.  I'm taking a break from exhibiting the 9V layouts in order to
pursue new ideas, including an 8mm scale London Underground train for the 12V
system (more appropriate as it has conductor rails).  I could equal the above
rebellion by adding PNEUMATIC ROBOTS! :-)  I also want to have more time for
building the Lego community here in the UK, as my layouts were born from 9 years
of going it alone in 8mm scale and I have now found others on the planet with
the same interest!

I have about 18 engines and over 30 wagons, so I would need at least 50 coupling
sets.  I'm not about to spend $250 on new couplings, especially because I run a
lot of permanent wagon rakes with technic 5L liftarms instead of magnetic
couplings.  This is to improve reliability by reducing the risk of wagons
getting dropped and the train crashing into them the next time it comes round
the circuit!

Regarding investments in the 9V system, I hear rumours about a development of
the train system for next year, but I'm not optimistic yet.  I'll have to see
firstly if there is anything new, then if it's compatible with the way I use the
existing 9V track.  For example, I couldn't use big chunky point motors due to
system other than a current boost, since I already use a dual 3 Amp power supply
instead.  I also think 56-stud radius curves would be a waste of space unless
half and quarter straights were also available.  I'm also sceptical about any
automation of the system.  Signals with isolating tracks (using the 12V system
ideas with 9V track pieces and standard feed wires) would be more interesting
though.

At the moment I draw my line of purity at the feed wires.  Beyond that, the
electrics are fair game because a 9V controller doesn't give me enough current
for 4 motors.  I don't want to use any non-Lego parts on the trains though
(except BBB wheels, sadly another area of TLG under-investment).  I think these
couplers will have no closer relationship with TLG than BBB wheels do.  I think
the wheels are more easily compatible with making up trains of vehicles from
several people - new couplers would require another standard when we already
have plenty of standards!

Mark