 Trains / 23750
Re: Train Set Design (Help?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 29 Nov 2004 03:58:34 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Chio Siong Soh wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Cary Clark wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Chio Siong Soh wrote: • ...
Besides samples of track plans, user-friendly documentation would be
appreciated in the release.

No question; the documentation needs a lot of work. For instance, the keyboard
shortcuts merely says that "'Tab' alternates the last track added." Lame. That
means nearly nothing, much less suggesting that 'Tab' will rotate the connection
points.

Sometimes I can't see the big picture for all of the small details. It would be
helpful for me to get more questions about how to do things, for me to see what
the documention is missing. And as Mike said, I am happy to include any
contributions to TrackDraw -- documentation, parts, code, sample layouts -- in
the next release.

Another idea is to have symbols of straight and curved tracks where we have
cut the magic 5 cm gaps (for DCC). So that we don't have to go to another
Paint program to add them.

As Mike suggested, you can add colored lines or rectangles, or modify a set of
parts to include the DCC modifications. Without knowing what you do in the paint
program, I can't be more specific.

Also, a part symbol for the train connecting lead (part #5305) and maybe the
speed regulator (part #4548), too. You'll have to think of a way to manage
the wires - maybe get Kevin Clague's help. So that we can have a full
picture of the layout with all the electrical connections included.

To present a simple schematic, you could use the existing line drawing
capability to show where the wires go. Let me know if this is not sufficient,
and what you visualize the lines looking like.

The goal is that, we can then send a copy of the complete TrackDraw layout to
someone else in any other part of the world and he/she would be able to
duplicate exactly our layout. (Like we can now do in LDraw).

Unless I'm mistaken, you can't send a layout to anyone anywhere in LDraw,
because there are no LDraw representations of points / switches in 9V. The curve
finally came available in the last part release -- hooray for that!

Look what you have got yourself into ;-)

Since TrackDraw is a completely public domain, open source, cooperative project,
the answer is "not much". Fortunately, folks like Thomas Woelk and Mike Walsh
have contributed greatly and made TrackDraw much more exciting than if I had
worked on it by myself.

Cary