 Trains / 23745
Re: Train Set Design (Help?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 28 Nov 2004 15:41:57 GMT

"Chio Siong Soh" <robodoc@fifth-r.com> wrote in message
news:I7w86q.Mu6@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.trains, Cary Clark wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Chio Siong Soh wrote:

[ ... snipped ... ]

Another idea is to have symbols of straight and curved tracks where we • have cut
the magic 5 cm gaps (for DCC). So that we don't have to go to another • Paint
program to add them.

You have a couple of options here:

1)  There is limited drawing ability within TrackDraw so you can "annotate"
your layout with text and arrows and the like and they become part of the
layout design.

2)  You can create modified versions of the track parts and add or delete
XML as needed to have the parts look visually like you'd like them to look.

Also, a part symbol for the train connecting lead (part #5305) and maybe • the
speed regulator (part #4548), too. You'll have to think of a way to manage • the
wires - maybe get Kevin Clague's help. So that we can have a full picture • of the
layout with all the electrical connections included.

Cary will have to comment on the wire itself but modeling the track
connector and the speed regulator would be pretty easy.  For anyone wanting
to learn to author TrackDraw parts, these would be good ones to start with
because they are simply polygons and circles with some detail added.

The goal is that, we can then send a copy of the complete TrackDraw layout • to
someone else in any other part of the world and he/she would be able to
duplicate exactly our layout. (Like we can now do in LDraw).

Look what you have got yourself into ;-)

C S Soh

Not to beat a dead horse but the best way to make this happen is to learn to
author the parts yourself and start contributing.  Creating TrackDraw parts
is very easy once you get the hang of it.  I have created quite a few of the
parts Cary is now distributing and he will incorporate contributions to the
parts library pretty quickly.

Mike

Mike Walsh - mike_walsh at mindspring.com