 Trains / 23746
Re: Train Set Design (Help?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 28 Nov 2004 15:54:59 GMT

"Jan-Albert van Ree" <javanree@vanree.net> wrote in message
news:I7w9Iu.wuF@lugnet.com...
Mike Walsh wrote:

[ ... snipped ... ]

TrackDesigner has a (somewhat limited though) zoom function. And it's
biggest plus : it will work under Linux (and probably MacOS X) using WINE,
which is definately not the case for TrackDraw :(

[ ... snipped ... ]

I'd argue that what TrackDesigner provides is not really a zoom.  It is
simply a choice of 4 scales of which 2 are useless (.5 pixel per stud and
.25 pixel per stud).  When drawing a layout of any size or complexity the
scale settings become a huge impediment.

Regarding Cary's choice of implementing TrackDraw with .Net which limits its
portability, that discussion has been rehashed several times.  I will
concede that TrackDesigner may work better under WINE on Linux.  TrackDraw
wouldn't be the first application which only ran on Windows nor will it be
the last.

What I do find somewhat surprising is how tightly many people continue to
hold on to TrackDesigner when there is virtually ZERO chance of it ever
being updated.  I would think the Train Community would be working
feverishly to make sure TrackDraw does everything we need it to but that
doesn't seem to be the case.

Mike

Mike Walsh - mike_walsh at mindspring.com