 Trains / 23743
Re: Train Set Design (Help?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 28 Nov 2004 14:28:02 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Cary Clark wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Chio Siong Soh wrote:
Erm, are there samples of designs drawn with TrackDraw to help the needy?

That's a great idea. It would be fun to turn all of the old Idea Book layouts
into TrackDraw files for instance. That would be a neat addition to the release.
If anyone has other interesting layouts, I'm happy to include them.

I have difficulty getting the curved part of a switch (points in UK) to join
up with existing track. It seems that only the straight part of a switch
will be accepted.

If you press the Tab key after adding the point, it will rotate through all
three connections. Then the curved part of the point will match the adjoining
track. You can also click on the point (or any other part) after it has been
added to the layout and press Tab to rotate it through the connections.

Hi, thanks, Cary.
Tried it, works great! I'm sold on TrackDraw.

Besides samples of track plans, user-friendly documentation would be appreciated
in the release.

Another idea is to have symbols of straight and curved tracks where we have cut
the magic 5 cm gaps (for DCC). So that we don't have to go to another Paint
program to add them.

Also, a part symbol for the train connecting lead (part #5305) and maybe the
speed regulator (part #4548), too. You'll have to think of a way to manage the
wires - maybe get Kevin Clague's help. So that we can have a full picture of the
layout with all the electrical connections included.

The goal is that, we can then send a copy of the complete TrackDraw layout to
someone else in any other part of the world and he/she would be able to
duplicate exactly our layout. (Like we can now do in LDraw).

Look what you have got yourself into ;-)

C S Soh