 Trains / 21894
Re: Another Motorized Switch Design :-)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 15 Dec 2003 04:07:27 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

New version! Now, the main body is only 4x6 studs:

Another view of the internal mechanism:

When building this, try to use 2x3 panels which have closed studs. Also, the two tiles on top are important for preventing the 4x6 roof plate from flexing too much (other methods may work, too).

LDraw file:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/markril/Trains/TSwitch2/tswitch2.ldr

Folder when moderated (has assembly instructions):

Mark

Re: Another Motorized Switch Design :-)
   New version! Now, the main body is only 4x6 studs:

Another view of the internal mechanism:

When building this, try to use 2x3 panels which have closed studs. Also, the two tiles on top are important for preventing the 4x6 roof plate from flexing too much (other methods may work, too).

LDraw file:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/markril/Trains/TSwitch2/tswitch2.ldr

Folder when moderated (has assembly instructions):

This redesign is absolutely brilliant! Time to make a couple dozen automated switch points...

- Chris.

Re: Another Motorized Switch Design :-)
   New version! Now, the main body is only 4x6 studs:

This redesign is absolutely brilliant! Time to make a couple dozen automated switch points...

Thanks Chris, but apparently this design as it stands is too sensitive to the clutch strength of the components being used. Yesterday, I ran it over 100 times without the hint of a problem, but today after partially disassembling and reassembling it, it won’t go more than about 50 switches without self-destructing. I think the primary issue is keeping the motor from seperating from the base. Have to think about this...

Mark

Re: Another Motorized Switch Design :-)