 Trains / 21652
Re: Trains, DCC, and pbForth
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth
Date:
Fri, 21 Nov 2003 18:56:10 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Chris Phillips wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Mark Riley wrote:
The basic DCC ack is defined as an increase of load on
the track of at least 60ma for 6ms +/- 1ms.

So if I understand this correctly, my idea of inserting some kind of
optoisolator or other power driver between the RCX and the track would interfere
with LDCC receiving the ACK signal.  Or could the sensor 1 input still be
(safely) connected to the track beyond the driver to read the increased load?

From what I've read, most DCC layouts have a separate small programming track
anyways.  This way a loco can be safely programmed without having to remove all
the other locos from the layout[1].  So, you could hook output A of the RCX to
the booster, and output B could be used on the programming track with the
acknowledgement circuit hooked to sensor 1 (from output B).

Mark

[1] However, operations mode programming does allow a specific loco to be
programmed even with other locos on the track.  But, to program the address of
the loco, I think you still need to remove all other locos for that one
programming operation.