 Trains / 21645
Re: Trains, DCC, and pbForth
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth
Date:
Fri, 21 Nov 2003 17:01:03 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Ralph Hempel wrote:
   All,

As I’ve mentioned before, I have a version of pbForth firmware for the RCX that allows you to control trains modified with DCC controllers.

The benefit of pbForth is that you can write, test, and debug your application interactively using something like a terminal emulator on your PC.

The other thing is that you don’t need to be an expert and Cygwin guru to install the toolchain. I’ll be the first to admit that pbForth intallation isn’t quite as easy as it shold be either, but I’m working on that.

The questions are these:

How much interest is there in the train community for truly programmable operation of the train layout?

Is Mark Riley’s remote control sufficinet for most needs?

How “pure” a solution to shortcomings like power requirements and switch control do you need.

As some of you are aware, writing firmware and supporting it are very time intensive, and I’m reluctant to spend too much time on this if it’s not going to get traction :-)

I’d like to open up some discussion on what kinds of things the train folks really want to do now, but can’t.

I have been working on a different project toward the same end-- improved train layout automation, and I have had similar questions as to whether it is worth the effort for the small number of people who might actually benefit from it.

Since the first NELUG train layout, I have used RCXes and reed switches to detect trains and automate level crossings. For the past several shows, I have incorporated a laptop computer and a Control Lab interface in order to handle more crossings without breaking the bank. I’ve only got six RCXes after all! I wrote a program called TrainLab that displays a bitmap, usually the Track Designer plan for our layout, and superimposes graphics to show the state of the reed switches and crossings. This has proven to be a very useful tool in debugging the train layout during a show.

When Mark Riley released LDCC, I started to adapt my Virtual Remote program to have a user interface that was focused on train control. When I told Mark about this project, he informed me that he had a better control protocol in place, so I used that instead of using simple IR Remote messages. The result is a program that I call Full Throttle. Since its release, I’ve had fewer than 30 downloads and have received absolutely no feedback from anyone about this program, good or bad.

Meanwhile, I have been trying to get TrainLab into shape for release as freeware. Seeing as I have the code written to control LDCC as well as Control Labs, RCXes, and other MindStorms hardware, I decided to roll all of this functionality into TrainLab with a simple event-driven scripting environment that runs on the PC. The new-and-improved TrainLab will still have the ability to control level crossings and display bitmaps, but it will also be easily extended to perform other types of automation. It will be able to address a DCC train engine as easily as it commands a Control Lab motor output. I have much of the raw functionality for this new utility working today. In fact, I used the latest incarnation of this program on last weekend’s NELUG train layout at the Greenberg Train Show, and it worked just fine.

Still, I have come to question whether it is worth the additional time and effort to improve the user interface, fix all of the obscure bugs, and document this program given the very limited size of the audience that I have seen so far, and also given their apparently limited interest in providing feedback that will help me to further refine these programs. Especially when I balance it against the time demands of some of my other projects that might be of benefit to a wider audience. I suspect (but certainly do not know) that you will find the same thing.

Granted, my programs do not come close to being as cool or ground-breaking as LDCC itself, so I don’t expect people to be dropping out of trees to congratulate me or thank me for my efforts. But when you release free software into the ether and hear nothing but crickets chirping, you begin to wonder if anybody is using it at all.

Personally, I would love to see more alternatives for railroad automation, such as an enhanced pbForth would provide, and I should be the last person to discourage you from following this path. I will happily try out anything you would care to release, and I vow to give you better feedback than I have gotten from the train community. Sorry to sound negative, but I’m just relaying my own experience.

To answer some of your other questions, I can see a need for a couple of pieces of “impure” hardware before DCC will be fully useful on a LEGO train layout. One would be a simple driver circuit that would take the low-current output from an RCX and switch the polarity of a high-current DC source such as a train transformer so that LDCC could be used without fear of damaging the RCX. This would also make LDCC work on a 2.0 RCX that doesn’t have the AC power input jack. I think something like this could easily be built using a few MOSFET transistors or opto-isolators or some other rapid-switching devices. Another piece of hardware that any DCC-head could easily make would be a stand-alone DCC decoder packaged in a 2x4 brick which could be used to run the motors of automated switch points, roundhouses, decouplers, or other motorized or lighted trackside structures.

- Chris.