 Trains / 21639
21638  |  21640
Subject:
Trains, DCC, and pbForth
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth
Date:
Fri, 21 Nov 2003 14:52:49 GMT

All,

As I've mentioned before, I have a version of pbForth firmware
for the RCX that allows you to control trains modified with
DCC controllers.

The benefit of pbForth is that you can write, test, and debug
your application interactively using something like a terminal
emulator on your PC.

The other thing is that you don't need to be an expert and
Cygwin guru to install the toolchain. I'll be the first to
admit that pbForth intallation isn't quite as easy as it shold
be either, but I'm working on that.

The questions are these:

  How much interest is there in the train community for
  truly programmable operation of the train layout?

  Is Mark Riley's remote control sufficinet for most needs?

  How "pure" a solution to shortcomings like power requirements
  and switch control do you need.

As some of you are aware, writing firmware and supporting it
are very time intensive, and I'm reluctant to spend too much
time on this if it's not going to get traction :-)

I'd like to open up some discussion on what kinds of things the
train folks really want to do now, but can't.

Ralph