 Trains / 21638
  Roundhouse project

I've always had fun building various roundhouses for my trains. Now for something bigger - The Roundhouse Project. I've developed a standard design for a single bay. Each bay can be connected to another to make a roundhouse with two, three, or as (...) (20 years ago, 21-Nov-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Trains, DCC, and pbForth

All, As I've mentioned before, I have a version of pbForth firmware for the RCX that allows you to control trains modified with DCC controllers. The benefit of pbForth is that you can write, test, and debug your application interactively using (...) (20 years ago, 21-Nov-03, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

  Re: Trains, DCC, and pbForth

In lugnet.trains, Ralph Hempel wrote: <snip> (...) Now here's a thought--a truly automated layout, such as the following-- The RCX has sensors (either light or magnetic/light (as Jeff Elliot made up) to detect the trains as they pass) connected to (...) (20 years ago, 21-Nov-03, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

  RE: Trains, DCC, and pbForth

(...) Dave, don't take ALL the fun out of driving your trains :-) How about being able to focus on just one train that you control, but automate things so the OTHER trains don't hit yours? Your description was great, except that it involves MANY (...) (20 years ago, 21-Nov-03, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

  Re: Roundhouse project

(...) The idea is solid. However if I check the pictures of the first models the height is too low for many models... I'd make it at least 2 bricks higher, the LEGO Caboose might do nice as a try-out, or the 4551 with panto's up. Also, what happens (...) (20 years ago, 21-Nov-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Trains, DCC, and pbForth

(...) I have been working on a different project toward the same end-- improved train layout automation, and I have had similar questions as to whether it is worth the effort for the small number of people who might actually benefit from it. Since (...) (20 years ago, 21-Nov-03, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth, FTX)

  Re: Trains, DCC, and pbForth

In lugnet.trains, Chris Phillips wrote: snip (...) snip (...) I know that I was one of those 30, Chris--sorry about not getting back to you. I d/led it but never actually used it yet :( So busy just getting a layout up and running--making buildings, (...) (20 years ago, 21-Nov-03, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth, FTX)

  Re: Trains, DCC, and pbForth

In lugnet.trains, Chris Phillips wrote: snip (...) I'm just going thru my mind (which is always a bad idea), and this would be, as stated, very easy-- My DCC chip has motor out, and 2 light wires out. Connect 'em to a electric plate and we're good (...) (20 years ago, 21-Nov-03, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth, FTX)

  Re: Trains, DCC, and pbForth

(...) The basic DCC ack is defined as an increase of load on the track of at least 60ma for 6ms +/- 1ms. Normally this happens on a quiet track where all you have powered is the decoder being programmed at the time. However, if you have a bunch or (...) (20 years ago, 21-Nov-03, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

  Re: Trains, DCC, and pbForth

(...) Cool. I think that this is the key to getting DCC into wider use. After all, there are only so many trains that will fit onto a layout unless it is truly massive. But there are a lot of potentially motorized items on a layout that could be (...) (20 years ago, 21-Nov-03, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth, FTX)

  Re: Trains, DCC, and pbForth

(...) So if I understand this correctly, my idea of inserting some kind of optoisolator or other power driver between the RCX and the track would interfere with LDCC receiving the ACK signal. Or could the sensor 1 input still be (safely) connected (...) (20 years ago, 21-Nov-03, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

  Re: Trains, DCC, and pbForth

(...) Yes, sounds like fun! And, that DZ123 I recently posted about would be ideal for the job. I think I'll have to order one or two more to test this out. One change to LDCC that would help facilitate this would be the ability to configure LDCC to (...) (20 years ago, 21-Nov-03, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth, FTX)

  Re: Trains, DCC, and pbForth

(...) From what I've read, most DCC layouts have a separate small programming track anyways. This way a loco can be safely programmed without having to remove all the other locos from the layout[1]. So, you could hook output A of the RCX to the (...) (20 years ago, 21-Nov-03, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

  RE: Trains, DCC, and pbForth

(...) DOH! Of course. In the fire alarm business, we have a three state voltage out to the sensors. Usually the Vout is 24V and the device can respond when the voltage falls to 5 V. The devices have a power supply that is basically a big cap and a (...) (20 years ago, 21-Nov-03, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

  Re: Trains, DCC, and pbForth

In lugnet.trains, David Koudys wrote: <snip> (...) <snip> This weekend was exceptionally busy, but I had time to play with the layout. Took my laptop downstairs, set it up with the IR tower, and loaded up Full Throttle. Wow! Pretty nifty piece of (...) (20 years ago, 24-Nov-03, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth, FTX)

  Re: Trains, DCC, and pbForth

I realize this thread is kinda old but ...does anyone know if Chris Phillips ever made his TrainLab software available? I have tried a few times to contact Chris without any success. I have been looking into automating my train layouts and would (...) (16 years ago, 11-Apr-08, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth, FTX)