 Trains / 21642
RE: Trains, DCC, and pbForth
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth
Date:
Fri, 21 Nov 2003 16:08:06 GMT

Ooooh... completely automated!

I like it--press "Run" and sit back!

Dave, don't take ALL the fun out of driving your trains :-)

How about being able to focus on just one train that you
control, but automate things so the OTHER trains don't hit
yours?

Your description was great, except that it involves MANY
sensors, which we all know the RCX is lacking.

The sad thing is, that we don't need all the smarts of a
full light sensor, all we need is "train is here/not here"
sensor. Yes, eventually, it would be neat if we had a
"train #3 is here/not here" but let's take the baby steps first.

As I see it, we can do a couple of things - and since some of
the train guys seem to be leaning away from "pure" LEGO
anyways, maybe we can move things along....

I'm guessing that there is a cheap DCC module that we can use
for things like sensors. If not, all that is really needed
(I think) is a DCC decoder that can use the ACK pulse to
indicate that something is here or not. Smarter sensors
would be able to sense direction too.

With a minimum of 30 msgs/sec and a maximum of about 75-100
the polling of 16 sensors would be no slower than once every
.5 seconds or so.

The nice thing about this would be very little wiring. Just
power the sensor off the track...

Is there another way we can get lots of sensor inputs to
an RCX, or are we better off just buying a "real"" DCC
controller that can be driven from a PC???

Ralph