 Trains / 21461
  Re: Draft of a new driver wheel

(...) snip One question, I can't really tell from the images: Is the distance between the axle hole and the peg hole a standard stud distance? JohnG, GMLTC (21 years ago, 5-Nov-03, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Draft of a new driver wheel

(...) Good question! It "arguably" doesn't matter as much as some distances though, unless you plan to mount something between them. In many applications you just have the main rod and or connecting rod to deal with and the eccentricity they have is (...) (21 years ago, 5-Nov-03, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Draft of a new driver wheel

(...) Well, I know how pointless it would be to "argue" with Lar (grin), but it would seem silly to not have this be a standard distance. I could easily imagine using a Technic cam or 1x3 liftarm on a wheel. (John frantically searching for FTX (...) (21 years ago, 5-Nov-03, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Draft of a new driver wheel

(...) (URL) Hi John, thanks for bringing up this question! I was thinking about this for a while myself and I decided to do it in a distance of 8 mm (which is same as two stud centers next to each other on a 1x2 brick - or holes in a technick beam.) (...) (21 years ago, 5-Nov-03, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Draft of a new driver wheel

(...) Oh, that's exactly what I was hoping for. Thanks!! Now, as I brought up several days ago -- can I get a dozen in black? :-) JohnG, GMLTC (21 years ago, 5-Nov-03, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Draft of a new driver wheel

(...) Ya I agree. I was only saying that in the universe of design decisions, some matter more than others and this one matters less. But Ben's design does indeed use a standard distance... (...) I look for that reference a lot too. I find it this (...) (21 years ago, 5-Nov-03, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Draft of a new driver wheel

(...) Sorry,I have not had time to read all of the posts on this subject. I would love to see TLC make these wheels. But, I don't think that they ever will. SADLY ,the 12v era has gone. Even though 12v wheels still work fine on 9v .rails. Being this (...) (21 years ago, 6-Nov-03, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Draft of a new driver wheel

(...) Another few issues with clearances - I wonder if you've considered all these... It looks to me as though if you did use a centre round plate, a coupling rod would have a hard time clearing the stud. Not a problem to leave it off though. (...) (21 years ago, 6-Nov-03, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Draft of a new driver wheel

In lugnet.trains, Teunis Davey wrote: <snip> (...) To answer your question, Yes. Based on some 'inside' information, somebody is making train drive wheels. I've heard they will be available for purchase certainly before christmas. It leaves me (...) (21 years ago, 6-Nov-03, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Draft of a new driver wheel

(...) I'll toss out a number: $10 for a pair of them... Of course that means I'd be paying $60 for enough of them to rebuild my Challenger! :-) Whatever, it's only money. I've already spent a bunch on other BrickLink orders for parts, why not spend (...) (21 years ago, 6-Nov-03, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Draft of a new driver wheel

(...) Oh yea, and another $40 for the 4-8-4 #261 I'm working on... ;-) (21 years ago, 6-Nov-03, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Draft of a new driver wheel

(...) well... something more than what I am getting parts for out of the 3033's I bought on sale ( about 1.2 cents a piece) and something less than what I paid for my last service pack of larger drivers. I can't find the number for it offhand, (...) (21 years ago, 6-Nov-03, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Draft of a new driver wheel

(...) This seems a pretty reasonable price (from the market point of view, I don't know about production costs) especially when compared to the price of the large spoked wheel. On bricklink at the moment the cheapest is $4 for a pair and the average (...) (21 years ago, 6-Nov-03, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Draft of a new driver wheel

(...) No it doesn't they are bricks with wheels, not wheels attached to bricks. :-) (21 years ago, 6-Nov-03, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Draft of a new driver wheel

(...) It's can only be an educated guess but further to this does anyone have an idea of the quantities that would sell. While a lot of AFOLS seem to have an unlimited budget many don't (like myself!) thus while I would like about 12 axles/24 (...) (21 years ago, 6-Nov-03, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Draft of a new driver wheel

(...) That's why you'd need an extra pair of wheels to show people at train shows. Have a business card (or a link on your website) to the Bricklink store where ??? is selling them. Make it simple for people to get these, and I think they'd become (...) (21 years ago, 6-Nov-03, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Draft of a new driver wheel

(...) All good ideas! Heck, GREAT ideas. The keychain ones could be the ones that got rejected for being poorly formed or out of round or whatever... Pardon me while I dip into "fantasy mode"... Suppose LEGO themselves got behind third party efforts (...) (21 years ago, 6-Nov-03, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Draft of a new driver wheel

(...) With such prices I'd only buy those I'd need right away, and certainly none to stock "in case" If OTOH it would be around $5 per pair, I'd easily buy 20-30 pairs, just to make sure I don't run out. (Somewhere in my head I've got plans for a (...) (21 years ago, 6-Nov-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Draft of a new driver wheel

(...) It's hard to tell what a "fair" price is, because I have no idea what the tooling cost will be, nor how many of them can be realistically sold at which price point. I would like to buy three to six pairs of them, maybe more, but that depends (...) (21 years ago, 7-Nov-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Draft of a new driver wheel

(...) I don't think that the fair price for an item that can be produced in almost unlimited quantity (and in fact will have to be produced in large quantity to create return on investment) can reasonably be compared to the price for a collector's (...) (21 years ago, 7-Nov-03, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Draft of a new driver wheel

(...) I would buy 12 axels, in all three colours !! Red , Black & Gray. Total 36 axels @ $10us each ??? = $360us ??? But, for me to spend that sort of money the design would have to be perfected. So that they work perfectly on 9v & 12v rails. And (...) (21 years ago, 7-Nov-03, to lugnet.trains, FTX)