 Trains / 21374

Re: Draft of a new driver wheel
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 28 Oct 2003 19:31:20 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Gerlach wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Reinhard “Ben” Beneke wrote: (snipped the whole message)

Very nice, but unless you’re doing some tricks I can’t see in your image, your example locomotive won’t be able to handle corners.

Forget abou running behaviour for the moment: I just wanted to have an impression about the “feeling” of these wheels. How do they look like in a LEGO® engine.

For a real model it would need blind drivers or a steering mechanism like here: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=12161

As one can easiely see: this CAD-draft is quite similar to the LGB/Playmobil wheels. Since those have been tested be me and others this decreases the risk of failure.

   You won’t be able to put three of these wheels next to each other and have them go around Lego curves. If you move the middle wheels in a half stud, I think it will work - but that adds another layer of complexity with attaching the pushrods. Also, if you want to run three wheels together, it makes a very tight threshold for the shape of the flange. You need the flange big enough and angled enough that it won’t try to climb up the outside of a curve, but it still needs to be small enough to fit through the switches.

   My suggestion would be to just mold the counterweight into it, and make just one mold. Off the top of my head, I can’t think of a time I wouldn’t want to use the counterweight...

I think I have to agree here.

So, when can I get a couple dozen in black? *grin*

Brad said “no”. But there are other parties than TLC. Would you (and what about the other train heads?) ignore this design, when it would be done by a third party supplier?

Leg Godt!

Ben

Re: Draft of a new driver wheel
In lugnet.trains, Reinhard “Ben” Beneke wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, John Gerlach wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Reinhard “Ben” Beneke wrote:

So, when can I get a couple dozen in black? *grin*

Brad said “no”. But there are other parties than TLC. Would you (and what about the other train heads?) ignore this design, when it would be done by a third party supplier?

Like I said, when can I get a couple dozen in black?

I don’t see a problem with a third-party product if the quality is good. I can definitely forsee having to explain to *everyone* who looks at our train layout that these wheels are NOT a Lego product. But, I could live with that - especially if those people could buy them easily. (Bricklink store, perhaps?)

JohnG, GMLTC

Re: Draft of a new driver wheel
I suspect that you have to do the same explaining when someone comments on
the gorgeous monorails that many clubs use in their layouts...

"Oh that? It is a bunch of monorail set and parts from the lat 80's - but
Lego no longer produces them..."