 Trains / 17965

Re: My Santa Fe Train Kit Theories
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Wed, 9 Oct 2002 19:37:54 GMT

Paul S. D'Urbano wrote:

In lugnet.trains, Bert Waters writes:

When we used three motors to power two engines and five rail cars at our
recent RichLug train show,  they  seemed underpowered and barely made it
around the 45 degree curves. One motor couldn't power an engine and two rail
cars around our carefully leveled oval.

Man, every story I hear gets me more depressed!  I don't own any ATSF stuff
yet.  I decided to wait for the cars to come out and an LD "kit" offer since
my LEGO budget is limited.  I now finally have the funds set aside and was
so psyched to see a full train in action.  I was about to order when I saw
Cary Clark's thread start.  Now I'm not sure if I should order now, or wait
to see if there's some quality control problem with the wheel sets that LD
will fix (and hopefully announce).

My observation :
Most LEGO engines are simply too light! The motor has more power, but it
can't be transferred onto the track because of the lack of grip.

With my 4551 Crocodiles and my MOC DB211 I added some weight bricks, as
found in old 12v trains and some Technic sets, and the traction has
improved a lot. Also trains run smoother and with less waggling around
on the track. http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=anvil for
some details on this. The weight brick is still available in the US from
Pitsco Dacta IIRC.

Still need to get my Santa Fe cars but so far my DB 211 has been pulling
trains of 5-6 of the old 12v 7740 coaches (which run heavier than 9v
cars) through curves and points.

We pondered a possible B-Unit kit from LEGO. I think I will wait for the kit
for another year before I resort to building one from one engine and
Bricklink parts.

I've pondered buying an extra engine and doing the A + A = B approach but
$80 for a B-Unit to go with a $40 A-Unit seems too painful.  I know the left
over parts can be used for other things, but my MOC skills aren't too great.

Going Bricklink is definately cheaper. I'd say you'd pay around $15-20
for parts needed, and can make $10-15 for the parts you have left
(assuming you already have an A-unit, and plan to make a B-unit with two
LEGO train motors) The windows and the grey wheels are still going for
good prices, way more than the roof and side pieces you'd need.

I'm not surprised that I'm the first person to respond to your post. Those
of us who are not "experts" are usually ignored when we post in this venue.

This depresses me, too.  This was my first LUGNET post and I believed the
hype that this would be "the friendliest place on the Internet."  Does that
not apply to lugnet.trains?

So many hours, so little time is my excuse in this...
I try to follow every posting that is made in groups I check, but unless
the title captures my interest I'm likely to skip it.
--
Jan-Albert "Anvil" van Ree   | http://www.vanree.net/~javanree/
VanReeDotNet IT Solutions    | http://www.vanree.net

Re: My Santa Fe Train Kit Theories