 Town / 9985
Re: The Croatian National Theatre in Zagreb (HNK)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Thu, 17 Jan 2008 02:01:28 GMT

In lugnet.town, Holger Matthes wrote:

Hi Matija,

I also was following up your updates in the brickshelf gallery on the HNK building. And right from the first CAD file I saw I must addmit that this building is absolutly fantastic. It’s a very challenging building to convert it into a LEGO model. But you’ve done a great job, both in CAD and in BRICKS! Larger components (like the various domes) and small details (like the upside down use of “rocket-noses” in white for lights) are brilliant.

Thanks :)

   But to be able to transport and easy set up the model, a modular concept and a good base is necessary. While building don’t worry about not connecting everything with everything. Try to think of reasonable modules which could be easly combined with some Technic pins or axles in 1x2 brick with axle hole.

The building is indeed modular, it has been designed as such because I knew I would need to put it apart for transporting. Basically every wall section is a separate module (details on how it is “cut” can be seen here if someone is interested). I actually tried using Technic bricks with pins and axles, but in the end I decided either not to connect modules at all or to connect them using studs at a few places.

Here you can see the modules which I use to set up my Frauenkirche.

Nice photoshoot! (and model, I get stunned every time I see it)

   Your HNK was your learning experience, and next time you will think in advance of the more stability and a modular concept if you want to transport and show your creations at public events. And your creations are definetly worth showing to the public and other fans!

Thanks, that’s why I make them (I definitely do not have place for them home :) ) and it is always nice to see that people like them .

   And you might also add some more inner structures to the facade elements and perhaps think of a base using old 32x32 street plates. Use tiles covered by bricks to make clear where a facade module should be placed while setting up the model.

As mentioned above, I did think in advance regarding transport. The building seems also to be stable, although it never hurts to add more structure. Side note: the two domes, being very heavy, have own stands.

Old street plates are exactly what I had planned to use (if you look at the CAD picture you’ll see them around the model). Another plan is to expand it with grass and flowers, like it is done in reality... but we’ll see about that.

   Could you upload some more detailed pics of the dome, windows, lights and and and and to your brickshelf gallery.

Done (available after moderation, or immediately from the MOCpages gallery). I also made some comparison photos between the real building and the model, it took a while to find the right angles and rotate the model in a not-so-wide kitchen :)