 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 4031
4030  |  4032
Subject:
The Croatian National Theatre in Zagreb (HNK)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.build.arch, lugnet.town
Date:
Fri, 14 Sep 2007 07:59:45 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

The design is finally done, hope you’ll like it.

Project’s history: I started it by just making a corner as a proof of concept, to see whether it might be nicely done in minifig scale. The reason for this was that I wanted to include it in our group’s layout. And it turned out to be a perfect scale, almost everything matched! Getting technical details (exact size, possible drawings, pictures & stuff) had proven to be quite a challenge, even from the official source(s). Not being physically at the location any more, I had a friend take a lot of photos, which was of great help. One thing that was hard to get pictures of was the roof, as all the surrounding buildings are relatively low or inaccessible. After a few extensive googling sessions (including Google Maps, which helped a lot!), I managed to get most of the details, but even if I didn’t, well, almost noone will know ;)

After getting the whole picture I finally continued drawing it... only then I saw what monster it would turn out to be, but by then it was too late to stop (had I thought of it before, I would probably never had begun with the design at all, at least not before I had secured fundings, something I’m still working on).
I naively assumed it would be easy to get standard sand green 2x*-plates - wrong. I had to redesign both domes using mostly 1x* parts (and 2x2 corner plates), since those were much easier to get... still it took several BL-orders to get everything :/

The theatre has a very nice surrounding as well, lots of flowers, a fountain, etc., but that is left as future work... maybe, depending on the budget.

As for the rendering part, it was a pain, since I wanted it to look as good as possible. After a while I had to start rendering only new additions and paste them into the picture...

Cheers, Matija

FuT: lugnet.town