 Town / 9513
Re: MOC: Terraced houses
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Tue, 6 Mar 2007 14:50:19 GMT

Jonathan Lopes wrote:

I haven't seen these types of houses in real life, but are they typically just
an even, flush, row of houses?  Are they ever set back (and forth) (in this case
1/2 or 1 full stud) from one another?  Even if not prototypical, I think it
might look nice and add a little more to differentiate between each house on
your already fabulous block.  Also, have you considered 2x2 tiles for the side
walks?

No, sorry to disappoint, but a row of terraced houses in England (and
there are possibly millions to choose from) would never have that kind
of pattern.  The only exception I can think of is occasionally you find
houses set at a slight angle to the road (few roads are exactly straight
in England) and then the houses may be set back from each other, but
this is comparatively rare.

What builders did to liven up the facades was add stone lintels, brick
or terracotta string courses, and bay windows (usually ground floor
only.  Of course they all added cost.  Some older and usually slightly
wider terraces took the party walls above the roofline, which helps to
distinguish them, but again that wouldn't be appropriate here.

The pavement is unfinished - I haven't decided whether to go with 1x2 or
2x2 tiles yet, and I don't have enough of either.  The former is
possibly more accurate but too small a scale.  Ideally I'd have 2x3
tiles!  I also plan to add 1x2 grille tiles to mimic the cast iron
drains which carry the water from the drain pipes to the gutter.

Thanks for your comments.

Al