 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 3816
MOC: Terraced houses
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.town, lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.build.arch
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2007 16:20:07 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

This is a recent MOC of a row of English terraced houses.  It's typical of
working class housing from around 1900 as can be found across much of the
Midlands and North of England.  See
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/disley/Houses/terraces1.jpg
to start with and http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=237776 for the
other pictures once moderated.

I've been trying to bring some more realism to this kind of building.  I've
built it from 1x2 plates, which while they can't mimic the English bond pattern
that would be appropriate, at least give an impression of brickwork.  I don't
have a precise piece count but I estimate 5000-7000 pieces.  The model is
externally complete, with the windows featuring visible coloured interior walls
and curtains, and then blacked out behind that.

The houses each represent a different current state that such a house might be
in, but it's entirely possible that such a combination might exist in one
street.  From left to right, a largely original house (albeit with grey plastic
guttering), a house with replacement uPVC double glazing, a house that has been
painted and had the upstairs window "modernised" perhaps in the 1970s, a house
that has been fire damaged and boarded up pending renovation, and a corner shop
(now serving fast food).

I have a few more minor things to change or add when I get chance, but on the
whole it's just as I planned when I got the bricks a couple of years ago.  I've
been rather busy since...

More MOCs to be added online when I get chance.  Meanwhile do let me know what
you think.

Al

Re: MOC: Terraced houses
In lugnet.announce.moc, Alastair Disley wrote:
This is a recent MOC of a row of English terraced houses.  It's typical of
working class housing from around 1900 as can be found across much of the

More MOCs to be added online when I get chance.  Meanwhile do let me know what
you think.

Really well done!  I'm always impressed by folks who have achieved a certain
look, not just of pure shape but also of texture and colour.

Calum

Re: MOC: Terraced houses