 Town / 9586
Re: MOC: Terraced houses
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2007 04:04:52 GMT

Question(s):  Would these types of houses comprise an area or
neighborhood?  Are
there little pockets of many of them here and there or are these types of
houses spread out amongst other types of houses?  Do families live there
and if
so do the streets get crowded with kids playing and what-not? Or, is it a
different environment?

When they were built, as cheap housing for factory workers in new industrial
towns, there were often acres and acres of them. Not a blade of grass in
sight. Yes, the kids played in the street - but then, all traffic was
horse-drawn and there was a lot less of it.

Here's an image grabbed from Google Earth of some remaining streets in
Manchester like this
http://www.lionsgatemodels.com/manchester%20terrace%20houses.jpg
See the tiny back "areas" between the rows of houses. See also the original,
probably slate roofs: over 100 years old and still going strong!
Many areas like this have been torn down and replaced with newer
buildings... in many cases just newer slums :-(

My cousin and her husband and three kids live in one of these in Nottingham.
My grandmother lived in one very similar, but with about 6 feet of front
yard. The back "area" was tiny, all concrete, with a clothes line and a coal
shed, no dirt or any place to grow anything. I grew up in a slightly larger
terrace house: 16 feet wide frontage, about 20 feet front to back, 2 floors,
with a 16 ft deep front yard and about 50ft deep back yard (with dirt, once
my Mum had had at it for a few years). They raised 2 kids, 4 cats, 2
hamsters, a budgie and assorted fish in there (not all at the same time) and
still live there. The shocking thing is that because of nearness to London,
that house is now worth about half a million dollars.

None of us kids suffered at all from growing up without 2000 sq ft of house
to roam in :-) What it did to the parents is another question!

Kevin
Craftsman Lego Kits & Custom models: http://www.lionsgatemodels.com
BrickLink Lego parts store: http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=Kevinw1
The Guild of Bricksmiths(TM): http://www.bricksmiths.com