 Town / 9504
Re: Steamship Möwe
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Tue, 6 Mar 2007 03:58:10 GMT

In lugnet.town, Andreas Weissenburg wrote:

   As you may be aware, a ship of this name was one of the more successful of the Kaiser’s surface raiders in World War I.

Uups, had no idea - I thought that is a quite common name for small sailing boats and harmless things like that.

In 1914, the German navy converted a banana transport into the armed merchant raider Mowe; this ship turned out to be very destructive to the British and her allies. Almost 50 ships were captured, sunk, or mined by the Mowe. The ship’s configuration is not that different from your model. It had one funnel, four cargo hatches and two masts with cargo loading booms. There is enough simularity that I at first thought that your ship might have some hidden 100cm guns on board!

   So I declare my loyality to a democratic and republican constitution :-)

Yes, Europe has changed a lot in the last few generations; unlike what a former US Secretary of Defense had said, it is no longer “old Europe”!

-Jim