 Technic / 9961
Re: Hercules Jr.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 10 Apr 2003 17:30:38 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Thomas Avery writes:

I disagree :-) Big, monster creations with a lot of function can be
impressive. However, something that is designed to be "as insignificant" as
possible can be just as, if not more, impressive!

If you take a moment and try to understand a minimalist design, then you can
appreciate the amount of thought and time put into it. For me, it is this
work and expertise that is most impressive.

I also consider that some people have a relatively small collection of
parts, and therefore make due with what they have. So it is a considerable
acheivement when they produce something cool.

I hope people realize this. Because I know it's intimidating reading this
group and seeing MOCs made from thousands of pieces, and then considering
posting a MOC made from a handful of parts.
The whole walker thing is quite interesting, and very cool, I think. It has
certainly caught on and built up some momentum. It's something that's on a
reasonable scale that most people can participate. I like it!

-TJ

p.s. I'm an engineer, and I'm constantly pressed to design things as simply
and as cost-effective as possible. It can be very difficult trying to do
this, and a considerable amount of design work goes into everything no
matter how small. When you see a finished design, it will seem very simple,
and the amount of thought and work that went into the design is not apparent
to an outside observer.

You have some good points there. I wasn't meaning to speak badly of the
small walker projects- I'm actually one of the people who started the whole
mini-walker thing. I meant that some of the larger projects have definitely
been more complex, elaborate, and imposing. Like Rob said, a tiny little
walker doesn't really fit in the same class. The good thing is, though, that
it doesn't have to. A small, relatively simple design can be very cool in
its own way. For instance, a large crane may be very complex and impressive,
but you can't build one in 5 minutes and have fun watching it stomp around.
I guess each project should be appreciated for its own merits. Comparing a
large project to a small one is really apples to oranges.

-jrl