 Technic / 9946
Re: Hercules Jr.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 9 Apr 2003 19:10:44 GMT

In lugnet.technic, James Loewen writes:
In lugnet.technic, Rob Stehlik writes:

Hopefully you are right. I just don't see how my stupid 5 minute micro
walker fits in with amazing cranes and construction vehicles built by people
like TJ and Jennifer Clark.

I agree with you, some of the awesome cranes and other projects are much
more impressive than something designed to be, literally, as insignificant
as possible. On the other hand, I know that sometimes the thought and
planning that go into making something simple can take a while (I know for
myself that planning the Twirp design took a good bit longer than actually
building it).
I disagree :-) Big, monster creations with a lot of function can be
impressive. However, something that is designed to be "as insignificant" as
possible can be just as, if not more, impressive!

If you take a moment and try to understand a minimalist design, then you can
appreciate the amount of thought and time put into it. For me, it is this
work and expertise that is most impressive.

I also consider that some people have a relatively small collection of
parts, and therefore make due with what they have. So it is a considerable
acheivement when they produce something cool.

I hope people realize this. Because I know it's intimidating reading this
group and seeing MOCs made from thousands of pieces, and then considering
posting a MOC made from a handful of parts.

The whole walker thing is quite interesting, and very cool, I think. It has
certainly caught on and built up some momentum. It's something that's on a
reasonable scale that most people can participate. I like it!

-TJ

p.s. I'm an engineer, and I'm constantly pressed to design things as simply
and as cost-effective as possible. It can be very difficult trying to do
this, and a considerable amount of design work goes into everything no
matter how small. When you see a finished design, it will seem very simple,
and the amount of thought and work that went into the design is not apparent
to an outside observer.