 Technic / 9957
Re: Hercules Jr.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 10 Apr 2003 06:41:17 GMT

I disagree :-) Big, monster creations with a lot of function can be
impressive. However, something that is designed to be "as insignificant" as
possible can be just as, if not more, impressive!

I often build big, but I don't put much effort in what I build. I build for
recreation from a long day of problem solving so I don't like to struggle with
more problems when I get home. My projects almost always "fly togheter" from a
handful of sittings. Take the Lynx for instance, it was built in one sitting:
http://www.lotek.nu/creations/lynxmki/index.html

And it's grandson, the Lynx MkIII was built in two:
http://www.lotek.nu/creations/lynxmkiii/index.html

So IMHO there is nothing impressive about those. But to someone with a small
collection of parts they might appear impressive 'cause they use a lot of
parts. Bullocks to that, it's just a lot of parts. All that took was money and
time!

Then look at the small walkers, derived from several iterations into something
small and perfect. That's amazing!

Sure, the stuff Jennifer puts out (and a lot of others) both use a lot of parts
and took a long time of problem solving before they were done. And this is even
more impressive, but it does not make the small creations bad. If all were to
build those giant projects and finnish something every six months this group
would be dead!

When I accumulate even more parts, I hope to be able to build those giant
projects and when I get tired of them (it will happen) I hope to have those
extra parts to build other things, maybee small walkers, until the inspiration
to finnish "the big one" comes back. My Jas 39 Gripen will be the first serious
attempt to build quite big, detailed and with a lot of functions...

If you take a moment and try to understand a minimalist design, then you can
appreciate the amount of thought and time put into it. For me, it is this
work and expertise that is most impressive.

Take the hoovercrafts as an example of this. One motor, some cross axles and a
handful of miscellaneous parts. A lot of trial and error. The result? The crowd
goes wild! It's so simple that anyone with a few bricks can do it, if they can
figure out how to use the parts!

I also consider that some people have a relatively small collection of
parts, and therefore make due with what they have. So it is a considerable
acheivement when they produce something cool.

Take Luis Hernández little Sports Car:
http://news.lugnet.com/technic/?n=9644

I still can't believe he made *that* from a collection of just 1.000 LEGO
pieces!

I hope people realize this. Because I know it's intimidating reading this
group and seeing MOCs made from thousands of pieces, and then considering
posting a MOC made from a handful of parts.

Agreed!

The whole walker thing is quite interesting, and very cool, I think. It has
certainly caught on and built up some momentum. It's something that's on a
reasonable scale that most people can participate. I like it!

The minimalistic design have perhaps narrowed it down to those who own a
micromotor only. But don't be afraid to make one with any other motor and
challenge the others to make a better biped with that specific motor.

p.s. I'm an engineer, and I'm constantly pressed to design things as simply
and as cost-effective as possible. It can be very difficult trying to do
this, and a considerable amount of design work goes into everything no
matter how small. When you see a finished design, it will seem very simple,
and the amount of thought and work that went into the design is not apparent
to an outside observer.

A solution that works good and as effective as possible almost always looks
simple and obvious. But to get there is almost never simple! KISS - Keep It
Simple Stupid. It's so hard to design by that rule...

Best regards,
/Tobbe
http://www.lotek.nu
(remove SPAM when e-mailing)