 Technic / 14938
14937  |  14939
Subject:
Vehicle with square wheels
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 6 Dec 2005 15:29:35 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

I saw this linked on Slashdot:

Allow me to cut through the inventor’s verbosity and translate the concept:

The square wheels are mechanically linked and turn in unison, but they’re offset from each other. The weight at the top of the vehicle forces one of the squre wheels to stay flat on the ground. As the weight rotates to a new square, that square has to turn to become flat, which makes all the others turn.

I think I’ll try building one of these, if I can get the offset angle to work. It’s 1/4 of 90 degrees, according to the article.

The way this vehicle is set up, it only moves in a straight line. How might one steer it? Shifting the center of gravity? Disconnecting one of the wheels from the others temporarily?