 Technic / 14938
    Vehicle with square wheels —Jordan Bradford
   I saw this linked on Slashdot: (URL) Allow me to cut through the inventor's verbosity and translate the concept: The square wheels are mechanically linked and turn in unison, but they're offset from each other. The weight at the top of the vehicle (...) (18 years ago, 6-Dec-05, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics, FTX)

        Re: Vehicle with square wheels —Steve Hassenplug
     (...) I think one way to steer it is to split the robot in half, and twist in the middle. However, that will make it hard to keep the front and back wheels in sync. Steve (18 years ago, 6-Dec-05, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

         Re: Vehicle with square wheels —Ed McGlynn
     (...) Right, Steve - keeping the wheels in sync may be the problem. You're onto something with the split in the chassis, though, and I thought of a three-wheeled version, where the front single wheel can pivot, like on a tricycle. I found this (...) (18 years ago, 6-Dec-05, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

         Re: Vehicle with square wheels —Jordan Bradford
     (...) Slashdot had a link to an article about that vehicle, too, but it requires a specially-shaped surface to work. The one with the rotating weight works on a flat surface. (18 years ago, 6-Dec-05, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Vehicle with square wheels —Philippe Hurbain
   (...) (snip) (...) I finally got it to work... (click for bigger images) (3 URLs) ...and a short <sw1.avi video clip> (600k, DivX 5 AVI file). Enjoy ! Philo (18 years ago, 9-Dec-05, to lugnet.technic, FTX)

        Re: Vehicle with square wheels —Philippe Hurbain
     Sorry, bad link. (URL) Video clip> (600k, DivX 5 AVI file). Philo (18 years ago, 9-Dec-05, to lugnet.technic, FTX)

        Re: Vehicle with square wheels —Jordan Bradford
   (...) Fantastic work. I hadn't even started my attempt. I like your using the battery box as the weight -- it's very simple and compact. I noticed from the video that it tends to veer left. Are the wheels losing traction when they're fully flat? (18 years ago, 12-Dec-05, to lugnet.technic, FTX)

        Re: Vehicle with square wheels —Philippe Hurbain
   (...) I think the veer left comes from gear backlash. Front and rear wheels are not maintained strictly 22.5° apart and the way it works, this introduces left/right dissymetry. My first attempt used 3 z24 gears with less backlash but of couse I (...) (18 years ago, 12-Dec-05, to lugnet.technic)

        Re: Vehicle with square wheels —Jordan Bradford
   (...) I built one similar to yours last night (I put gears on both sides as an experiment). You're correct that it's the gear backlash that causes the wheels to not quite turn at the same time. Pushing the wheels down manually with your finger is a (...) (18 years ago, 14-Dec-05, to lugnet.technic)

        Re: Vehicle with square wheels —Alexander Holroyd
   Here is my attempt (not as elegant as Philo's!) I used old half bushes in a slightly different way. Gear lash seems pretty low. The gear train for the rotating weight needs some work though... (URL) Alexander (18 years ago, 15-Dec-05, to lugnet.technic)